[Solved] 90 second timeout during boot

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rdb_1212
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] 90 second timeout during boot

Post by rdb_1212 »

Hello, wonderful Linux Mint community. I'm not at all a newbie with Linux. Been using many different distros for many years. But I have a problem with LMDE 4 that I haven't been able to figure out how to correct. I know exactly what caused it. My main PC was set up with a triple boot of LMDE, SparkyLinux, and MX Linux. MX was my main distro, but I came to find recently that there was no way I could get the latest version of Cinnamon DE on it without breaking it. So I gave up on MX and replaced it with Siduction. (Debian sid unstable.) Doing this had no effect on SparkyLinux, but every time I boot LMDE, it attempts to perform a task on a disk by a specific UUID. The disk in question no longer exists, because it was the MX Linux Root Partition. But LMDE still queries it during boot, and waits 90 seconds before giving up and continuing with boot. This makes LMDE boot time almost 2.5 minutes, instead of less than 1 minute as before. Why in the world someone would set a 90 second timeout for this is beyond me. 10 seconds would have been plenty, and I wouldn't have even noticed that.

systemd

Timed out waiting for device /dev/disk/by-uuid/f56cceee-c60a-44c1-9469-f828f259f36e.

A start job for unit dev-disk-by\x2duuid-f56cceee\x2dc60a\x2d44c1\x2d9469\x2df828f259f36e.device has failed

A start job for unit dev-disk-by\x2duuid-f56cceee\x2dc60a\x2d44c1\x2d9469\x2df828f259f36e.device has finished with a failure.

The job identifier is 12431 and the job result is timeout.

That's the information from the Logs application. As I said, the disk it is looking for no longer exists on the system. I don't know what file to edit to make it stop looking for it. Please, somebody make it stop! Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: 90 second timeout during boot

Post by jimallyn »

Remove the entry from/etc/fstab.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
rdb_1212
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rdb_1212 »

Thanks, @jimallyn. That hit the nail right on the head. I knew somebody would know exactly what to do. Can't believe I didn't remember to look at that file. Turns out the disk was the MX Swap. I guess LMDE was trying to borrow it?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

rdb_1212 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:26 amI guess LMDE was trying to borrow it?
Probably something like that, yeah.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”