I think I can finally stop distro hopping!

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mrw
Level 1
Level 1

I think I can finally stop distro hopping!

Post by Mrw »

Hi there all

Just wanted to thanks the devs and share my experience of LMDE

Been distro hopping for over 10 years. Always wanted Debian, can never forget the frustration of the live DVD working and then no wireless upon install! I can't be doing with that.

So many times things have got broken and it's been frustrating. It's so obvious that I've finally found something that is ridiculously stable, which is what I need. I have no need for PPA's. I can't imagine myself needing to ask for help here (famous last words :lol: ). And frankly, for the apps I use, I couldn't care less if there's a more modern version. I was happy enough with ZX spectrum word processor :D

I do want my OS to feel modern, and the latest Cinnamon achieves that. Very happy with it. As for overall experience, excellent and fast. I expect my days of distro hopping are gone now. Well done and big thanks to all concerned 8)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Re: I think I can finally stop distro hopping!

Post by Aztaroth »

Distro-hopping is a blurring concept because it aggregates several (at least 2) behaviours :
- the first one, often related with young users, appears when people constantly change their distro because something doesn't work as they wish (to be fair with all distros, the cause is mainly the lack of competence of the user who doesn't want to invest time studying the finesses of his distro).
- the second one made some effort to understand what's going on on his computer. He has chosen his do-the-job distro and is satisfied with it, but he knows things may turn wrong (the distro project can be abandoned, his needs may change, his brand new computer has a problem with his pet distro, a.s.o.). So, he tests some other distros just in case because he tries to manage the unexpected.
- there is of course a third category which doesn't "hop" at all or ceased "hopping". Of course, they probably found a convenient distro. But if something goes wrong with it, there will be panic on the ship.

So, 'moderate' hopping (the 2nd category) may be a far better behaviour than 3rd (it will at least confirm that your pet distro is still the best for you), especially if those distros share the same backbone : for example, I use LMDE4 as my pet distro, but study/test Parrot, Tails and of course native Debian. All are based on Debian, so almost everything I do or learn with Terminal command lines can be used in the other distros. But I agree, it needs time and investment, like everything you try to master...
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
Mrw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mrw »

The funny thing is what made me give it a try

I stumbled across a tech blog reviewing this distro. It was installed only in a virtual environment. Then he says he couldn't understand why anyone would choose this as a daily driver.

Erm, because you won't have to fix anything, perhaps?
ost
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ost »

I agree with Mrw. I was also a distrohopper. No distros lasted longer than half a year on my SSD. I had also frustrating fights with pure Debian.
Since I dicovered LMDE, its over. Hope the developers continue this branch of Mint. Its for me the best compromise of speed, stability, usability and has an attractive desktop.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

when I found LM17.3 Cinnamon,

I knew that I was done looking for the "right and proper" distro for me
used 18.3 Cinnamon for the duration, and now on 19.3 Cinnamon.

I don't like the guinea pig versions, I wait for xx.3 Cinnamon, or nothing.

I had LMDE4 Cinnamon installed on a 2nd partition for 2 years, and finally, I said why?

when 19.3 came along, I reformatted the drive and never looked back.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

It's nice to find a home :)
Last edited by kc1di on Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Oh man !!! Don't stop until you try the one that makes your computer look like Windozes 3.1 :mrgreen:
Tolayon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tolayon »

Well, anything based on Debian can stop your distro hopping if you have an older computer that might not run or not run alright with newer distros/ kernels.

However, the distro hopping mentioned so far in this thread only seems to apply to installing distros on real hardware. With Linux Mint 19.2 Xfce stopping my live-session based distro hopping for my daily driver, I still do try out several other distros in VirtualBox on my second machine (which has to run and stay on Windows 10 due to mainstream compatibility reasons).

Regarding LMDE, I find it a pretty solid project but it doesn't provide LTS support above 2 years after every release. Current LMDE 4 wouldn't even boot on my main machine, which doesn't accept newer kernels than 4.15 (4.9 of LMDE 3 also ran like a charme).
ost
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ost »

LMDE4 runs on 4 several older machines (8-16 years) without any complaints. I noticed that LMDE is faster than the standard Ubuntu based Cinnamon Version. It feels like it is even to the XFCE or Mate Version (just a feeling - no testing values). But the Ubuntu based Cinnamon MInt-Version feels definetly less responsive than LMDE on an older machine.
oxygenfarm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oxygenfarm »

Playing with various versions of Linux has proved to be a comfortable, no-strain exercise, after retirement. What's there to loose? No cost; no pulled muscles; only minor (temporary) disappointments. I'm quite comfortable using Mate but sometimes playing other games.
Thanks, Linux developers!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Pepi wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:16 am Oh man !!! Don't stop until you try the one that makes your computer look like Windozes 3.1 :mrgreen:
oh man,

you dun it now

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Mrw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mrw »

2 months on....still happy

Only had one "issue", and it is a small thing

Spell check doesn't work without tweaks on LibreOffice. This is common with Debian, wasn't hard to fix
Mrw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mrw »

And still going!

I also used Debian 11 for a month with Gnome

There's not loads to choose between the two, but with LMDE it's the first time I've given cinnamon a proper go, and I'm won round

Some people ask why not use regular mint or ubuntu, but I can't think of anything I could do with them I can't do with LMDE
ne0h

Post by ne0h »

i love LMDE4 too!!!
flojisan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by flojisan »

Hi all,

I am new on this forum! Glad to read so many good reviews from LMDE.. I also was distro hopping a lot. Mainly to find a distribution that worked on multiple devices with different specs. After installing LMDE on an IMAC (mid 2011) I was sold. I had no problems at all installing and removed apple software completly. After that I also installed it on my main AMD pc and family members laptops (intel). No problems since except for some bluetooth issues. Currently I have the three desktop environments running (Plasma, Cinnamon and Gnome).
Keep up the good work.

Looking forward for debian 11 / and GNOME 40 in LMDE.

Greets Flojisan
ne0h

Post by ne0h »

gnome 40?
in LMDE only Cinnamon is expected as DE!

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”