LMDE with xfce 4.16 ?

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ost
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE with xfce 4.16 ?

Post by ost »

Hello,

I am a happy LMDE4-User, but sometimes I feel that the celeron processor will be stressed a bit. So I think a more lightweight desktop would be fine. I made a timeshift snapshot and afterwards I installed the xfce-desktop for a test. Strangely enough, that I did not realize any performance advantage or less memory usage (with 4 GB RAM, cinnamon and xfce use 1 GB after a restart).
Could it be, that a fresh installation of xfce, based on debian (perhaps coming with LMDE5) would be snappier? Any plans for the next edition?

kind regards
Oliver
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
manyroads
Level 5
Level 5

Re: LMDE with xfce 4.16 ?

Post by manyroads »

Almost certainly the next version of LMDE will have 4.16 of xfce because LMDE will be built on Debian Bullseye. Whether your little celeron is long for the Mint world is another question. Each release does seem to consume more horsepower (no matter who makes the release).

FWIW. There are quite a few other distros that might work with your hardware. Not knowing your specs, I'd suggest antiX or the Fluxbox version of MXLinux, if you want a Debian machine. Most of those desktops run natively in about 200-300MB of RAM. Be advised not much will look as nice as Mint. An *buntu based distro designed for extra tiny machines is PeppermintOS. They are currently stranded on Bionic due to the death of their lead developer. Once they get things back in order, they will likely roll out new releases. They are also discussing moving from Ubuntu to Debian.

If you want a larger shopping list of lightweight distros... Mother Google (Frau Holle?) provides the following:
https://itsfoss.com/lightweight-linux-beginners/
https://www.techradar.com/news/best-lig ... nux-distro

Viel Glück beim forschen!
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
SwayWM, i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm
Professional Genealogist & Technologist
(http://eirenicon.org & http://many-roads.com)
ost
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ost »

Thanks a lot.
Most Distros of that list I knew, but there are some interesting distros I did not know. I dont want to leave Mint LMDE because of its great usability and features and also the direct base of Debian. When LMDE 5 is based on Debian 11, this means automatically that XFCE is the standard DE and not Mints own cinnamon?
LMDE4 does not run slow on my Dualcore but I think a more lightweight DE would be a bit snappier. So I wait for LMDE5 with xfce which seems to be perfect for older machines.

Regards
Oliver
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

The German Linux Mint users group has LMDE4 with Cinnamon, LXDE and MATE
https://www.linuxmintusers.de/
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

ost wrote: When LMDE 5 is based on Debian 11, this means automatically that XFCE is the standard DE and not Mints own cinnamon?
I believe what manyroads was saying is that version 4.16 of Xfce would be available in the repositories for LMDE 5, as its codebase would be Debian 11.

I doubt there would be an official LMDE 5 release for Xfce, nor Cinnamon abandoned.
argentwolf
Level 4
Level 4

Post by argentwolf »

[/quote]
ost wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:34 am Thanks a lot.
Most Distros of that list I knew, but there are some interesting distros I did not know. I dont want to leave Mint LMDE because of its great usability and features and also the direct base of Debian. When LMDE 5 is based on Debian 11, this means automatically that XFCE is the standard DE and not Mints own cinnamon?
LMDE4 does not run slow on my Dualcore but I think a more lightweight DE would be a bit snappier. So I wait for LMDE5 with xfce which seems to be perfect for older machines.

Regards
Oliver
Curious..."wait for LMDE5 with xfce", please do tell where you got this news?
Vanguard debian, because nothing's worse than doing nothing whimsically.
LMDE 6 | i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz x 8 CPU | 15.6GiB RAM | NVD9 1.9GiB GPU | 931GiB SSD | 298 GiB HD
LMDE 6| 2 Duo T5270 @ 1.40GHz x 2 CPU | 3.9GiB RAM | NV86 117MiB GPU | 465 GiB SSD
argentwolf
Level 4
Level 4

Post by argentwolf »

Bolle1961 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:37 am The German Linux Mint users group has LMDE4 with Cinnamon, LXDE and MATE
https://www.linuxmintusers.de/
Huh, people simply DON'T understand the magnificent difference between Linux Mint and LMDE?
Vanguard debian, because nothing's worse than doing nothing whimsically.
LMDE 6 | i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz x 8 CPU | 15.6GiB RAM | NVD9 1.9GiB GPU | 931GiB SSD | 298 GiB HD
LMDE 6| 2 Duo T5270 @ 1.40GHz x 2 CPU | 3.9GiB RAM | NV86 117MiB GPU | 465 GiB SSD
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

argentwolf wrote: Curious..."wait for LMDE5 with xfce", please do tell where you got this news?
I think ost misunderstood manyroads' response.
ost
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ost »

No, I did not. He said, that the codebase of LMDE5 is Debian 11 which offers then xfce 4.16 in their repositories (actually its 4.12 I think).
What could be misunderstood is the fact, that the mint Team will offer an LMDE5 Distro with more than just cinnamon as DE. That was my question (or hope).
I know, thatt the cinnamon desktop is the flagship of the mint distros, so other flavours might come, if the ubuntu-base will be dropped ... i don't know.

Bolle1961 is wrong, when he says, that there is Mate and LXDE version of LMDE. I know, there were some inofficial Distros of LMDE3 with LXDE and xfce, but not supported by the mint-team.

But my origin aim is perhaps to have an detailed instruction for setting up LMDE with xfce 4.16 when LMDE5 is rolled out.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

ost wrote: No, I did not. He said, that the codebase of LMDE5 is Debian 11 which offers then xfce 4.16 in their repositories (actually its 4.12 I think).
As I said. :)
ost wrote: What could be misunderstood is the fact, that the mint Team will offer an LMDE5 Distro with more than just cinnamon as DE.
As I mentioned, I doubt that will be the case.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

ost wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:40 am
Bolle1961 is wrong, when he says, that there is Mate and LXDE version of LMDE. I know, there were some inofficial Distros of LMDE3 with LXDE and xfce, but not supported by the mint-team.
No I'm not wrong. Read my post. The German User group has made these versions, they do that for years.
ost
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ost »

Might be some users that changed manually their DE but there is not any official DL for LMDE4 with xfce. In that Forum is one guy who made an iso for download but the comments of users that tried that are not so optimistic ...
Tolayon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tolayon »

Wow, I didn't know about those unofficial LMDE Spins (and that although I'm German, but I registered only here for the worldwide community).

It's a shame that especially the LMDE spin with LXDE has so many problems, since LXDE is far lighter than Xfce and therefore perfect for older machines.
But then again LXDE is outdated and no longer updated - users should switch to LXQT, which in combination with Linux Mint could perhaps cause even more problems.

Anyway, I tried SparkyLinux with LXQT some time ago in a VM ... Not really user-/ beginner-friendly, but once you wrap your head around it, it can be quite viable.

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”