[solved]add applications on plank dock??

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ne0h

[solved]add applications on plank dock??

Post by ne0h »

Hello to all
i am trying to use plank dock. I wanted to understand how do I add program icons to the dock. the problem is that it seems I have to bring the icon to the desktop and then drag it to the dock. so it works, but then if I delete it from the desktop it also deletes it from the dock. How should i do? PS. I also wanted to know how to start plank on system startup.
Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shakil_r
Level 1
Level 1

Re: add applications on plank dock??

Post by shakil_r »

Aha! I'm a complete Linux newbie but I believe I am able to answer this thanks to my messing around with plank!
I had the exact same issue and what worked for me was to:
  • Open the application that you want to dock. This will cause it to show up in the dock
  • Right click on the app icon from the dock (while the app is still open) and then check the keep in dock box
  • Then close the app. The icon will stay in the dock!
Not the most ideal way to pin an app to the dock but it did the job for me.
A slightly quicker way to do the same thing is to:
  • Open the desired app
  • Switch the position of the icon on the dock (by dragging the icon left or right) anywhere from its original position. This seems to automatically check the keep in dock option and hence will keep the app docked when closed
Regarding adding plank to the system startup, what I did was:
  • Open the menu and search for startup applications
  • Click the plus sign then click choose application
  • Scroll down to plank (or just type plank) and add application
Voila! I hope this works for you as it did for me. Hopefully an actual fix is implemented soon.
p.s. Please excuse my enthusiasm, I'm just happy to be able to contribute to this wonderful community though I've still a lot to learn!
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Good to know, too:
The Plank Preferences and Quit menu items can be accessed by right clicking near the edges (left/right) of the dock. Or you can hold down the Ctrl key and right click anywhere on the Plank dock.

https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/12/a ... linux.html
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

From same link absque fenestris provided above :
If you can't pin / unpin applications, can't add docklets or can't remove docklets (by dragging a docklet and dropping it away from the dock to remove it), you must have enabled the Lock Icons option in the Plank preferences (on the Behaviour tab). Disable that option and you'll have control over Plank's icons again
Also means that when you've set up the dock as you wish, you can lock it in the Behavior Tab to prevent accidental changes.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”