LMDE 5 seems faster, why?

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Acheron
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE 5 seems faster, why?

Post by Acheron »

On the same hardware, LMDE 5 seems faster than Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon Edition.
Other folks have commented the same as well.
Does anyone have any idea why? Or it just a placebo effect?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kingsport, Tennessee, USA Telegram: @linuxadvocate
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Re: LMDE 5 seems faster, why?

Post by MiZoG »

It has to do with the base-system. Debian 11 is more or less faster than Ubuntu both 20.04 && 22.04 LTS in all evidence. See last distro round-up benchmark on Phoronix for instance. Ubuntu loads more services / bloat, uses more memory n cpu resources out of the box n so on.
chuckster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chuckster »

Subjectively, LMDE-5 feels more responsive than Mint 20.3 on my hardware, running dual boot between reach version on SSD.

I thought I'd run a systemd-analyze blame on each and compare findings. Each instance is identically configured (same services and apps (albeit different apt repositories). *Excluding unit "NetworkManager-wait-online.service" (which in my case bringing up bridges, et.al can run 25-30 seconds), here is my measured data:
- LMDE5: 83 units totaling 6.844 seconds (*Excluding unit noted above)
- Mint 20.3: 97 units totaling 11.344 seconds (*Excluding unit noted above)

System updates (via apt update/upgrade ) are noticeably much quicker, but that is certainly influenced by fewer repositories to check, perhaps faster repository speeds and since PPAs have been replaced by Debian alternatives.

I know YMMV, but here, overall, Mint based on Debian seems more hot blooded than based on Ubuntu.
cretsiah
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cretsiah »

HarryHouTX wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:24 pm On the same hardware, LMDE 5 seems faster than Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon Edition.
Other folks have commented the same as well.
Does anyone have any idea why? Or it just a placebo effect?
yeah ive tried telling people this ...... im now on LMDE 5 seems to b e more stable for me
Mia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mia »

LMDE always was faster and more responsible compared to Mint. As Debian is faster than Ubuntu. I started with Debian as a preteen. Then switched to LMDE 2 and 3. Then to Mint. About 20 months ago, I switched back to LMDE 4 - and recently upgraded to 5. From my experience, I can say for sure - LMDE is definitely faster and less resource-hungry than Mint. And now it's more stable.
Ukraine is my pain and my pride.
TuxSymphony
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TuxSymphony »

For what it's worth and in my experience on the same hardware over the years, linux distro's sans ubuntu, ARE slightly quicker, agreed.
IMHO, Ubuntu is becoming an overly cautious MITM security bottleneck which does slow things down since circa 2019 onwards (don't get me started on Google) I take care of my own setups, checking out vulns and security related issues via many outlets online everyday and mitigate where I deem necessary via firewall/ settings and not only for LMDE4.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Statements like "faster and more responsible compared to..." are based on impressions. Subject line "LMDE 5 seems faster, why" is of no interest to prevailing users of Mint hence bias. This winter I installed Ubuntu 22.04 Beta and my impression was that it was faster than LMDE4 and LM20.3. That was after my usual setup of system. Still it is only my impression and it is useless not being accompanied by relevant data. So let's look at October 2021 Foronix's "9-Way H2'2021 Linux OS Performance Comparison". The composite of all tests:
Ubuntu 21.10 = 41.52 (best)
Debian 11 = 41.15
Ubuntu 20.04 = 40.53
In most tests of this comparison the difference between these three was less than 3%.
Last edited by t42 on Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-=t42=-
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Any operating system is only as fast as the meat sack sitting between the keyboard and chair. We are the limiting factor, not the code base or hardware. Boot times are largely irrelevant in the days of SATA SSD and PCIe nvme storage. If you are struggling with slow boot and program loading times on a new machine it is badly configured (again by the sack of meat in the chair)
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”