AMDGPU Experimental support has been removed

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

AMDGPU Experimental support has been removed

Post by antikythera »

AMD have been threatening to do this for quite a while and now they have, amdgpu-experimental support for GCN 1.0 hardware is no longer available with current 5.10 or 5.18 kernels for LMDE at least. radeon works okay so I have now permanently removed the entries from grub that forced amdgpu to load instead. amdgpu provided slightly better performance in games when it did work
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: AMDGPU Experimental support has been removed

Post by SMG »

Is this documented somewhere? Press release or something like that?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

A couple of years ago it was on Phoronix. I've not seen anything since but I can confirm it no longer works on my Athlon 5350

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... op-GCN-1.0
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

That was the only reference I found. I noticed the very last post dated December 2020 indicates, " So far I can't do this to the 5.9 kernel or higher. The 5.8 kernel still works but not the 5.9 or the 5.10. This is a problem for me. Did they drop it?"
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Yeah, the drop seems confirmed. I guess folk upgrading from Mint 19/20 to Mint 21 will start to notice it too if they have been using the experimental support.

I can't see how it's that much of a problem though as radeon now provides Vulkan API Support

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”