ntp is needed to sync internet time? or is systemd-timesyncd enough?

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
juaners0n
Level 1
Level 1

ntp is needed to sync internet time? or is systemd-timesyncd enough?

Post by juaners0n »

Hi mates, please I need to clarify my doubt, because LMDE coming with systemd-timesyncd (new way from I know), and LM 20.3 coming with ntp + ntpdate (old way if I am right). My question is, ntp is needed to sync the internet time? or is systemd-timesyncd enough?
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Re: ntp is needed to sync internet time? or is systemd-timesyncd enough?

Post by t42 »

juaners0n wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:53 pm is systemd-timesyncd enough?
it's enough, just read man systemd-timesyncd.service and man timedatectl, as well used in LM.
-=t42=-
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Essentially, NTP is a TCP/IP protocol for synchronizing time over a network, which is very useful. Put simply, it allows the system to fetch the correct time from a server. In Ubuntu, as of 16.04 (presumably following Debian's footsteps), SystemD includes functionality (to which you eluded) which replaces the need for NTP, via timedatectl(1). Unless you use NTP, its package isn't needed and can typically be safely removed, as far as I'm aware. Unless of course you have something which depends on it.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Termy wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:15 pm Unless you use NTP
... as in enterprise or scientific environment where far greater precision is required.
-=t42=-
juaners0n
Level 1
Level 1

Post by juaners0n »

t42 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:58 pm it's enough, just read man systemd-timesyncd.service and man timedatectl, as well used in LM.
Thank you friend, very helpful information.
juaners0n
Level 1
Level 1

Post by juaners0n »

Termy wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:15 pm Essentially, NTP is a TCP/IP protocol for synchronizing time over a network, which is very useful. Put simply, it allows the system to fetch the correct time from a server. In Ubuntu, as of 16.04 (presumably following Debian's footsteps), SystemD includes functionality (to which you eluded) which replaces the need for NTP, via timedatectl(1). Unless you use NTP, its package isn't needed and can typically be safely removed, as far as I'm aware. Unless of course you have something which depends on it.
Thank you very much, now I have clear the use of NTP.

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”