My upgrade experience

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ChrisMW
Level 2
Level 2

My upgrade experience

Post by ChrisMW »

Just wanted to recount an alternative way to move from 4 to 5. I'm late in upgrading, mostly because the upgrade tool was wanting to downgrade a lot of software I had installed via some other repos. So I delayed. Remembering that at its hart, this is an apt managed system, I decided to go with the old route, where you update to latest, adjust the sources, then update & upgrade & dist-upgrade. Happy to report that this worked very well and I'm now LMDE 5'd, without any complicated software downgrades/upgrades. Just simply kept the old config files. The only thing that was a little odd is that I got a screen reader telling me all was working, but that was easily fixed.

I'm aware that this is not the preferred route, but as I didn't like the upgrade route being offered, didn't want the hassle of a full reinstall, and didn't to waste time on making backups etc...... I just opened a terminal and voila, less than 1 hour later, a good working LMDE 4 computer was a good working LMDE 5 computer.

One of the attractions to LMDE for me is that strong core Debian-ess, turns out, it is pretty strong, as apt managed to do all the work for me.
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: My upgrade experience

Post by all41 »

One of the attractions to LMDE for me is that strong core Debian-ess
+1 and included at no extra charge a quite robust lmde support forum.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Mindwrecked
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mindwrecked »

I just installed LMDE5 last week and only had a minor glitch. I'm not certain what the cause was, but I went into the UEFI and disabled "Intel PTT." I don't know if that made the difference, but I haven't had a problem since then. I chose to go dual boot with Windows 10 and LMDE, but if I'm satisfied with the switch, I'm ditching Windows altogether. My computer is powerful enough that I think I could create a VM and run Windows in there for the few things that I might still want available.
afeher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by afeher »

Upgrade kernel 5.10.0-18-amd64 to 5.10.0-19-amd64
lost my LAN connection.
afeher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by afeher »

After new update files (Kerberos) LAN is OK.
MLED4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MLED4 »

Doing it manually means there are usually packages that can't be upgraded without removing something so need user intervention.

You can either experiment until you realise you have to remove polkit-backend-obscure-watsit first or upgrade removes important apps such as network manager.

If you've lost network manager, google 'debian wifi how to use' and configure ifupdown so you can download network-manager and get mintmenu back etc.

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”