Just wanted to say Thank You!

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Just wanted to say Thank You!

Post by revmacian »

I have been using Linux Mint since Linux Mint 13 (Maya) was released. Yesterday I decided to try lmde 5 "elsie", assuming that I would be in for a couple days of tweaking and learning. I have been using lmde 5 for over 24 hours, on my hp laptop (manufactured in 2018) and I can't even tell that my system is using a debian base instead of an Ubuntu base.. most everything is the same from a user perspective.

Soooo.. yeah.. I am totally comfy making lmde 5 my daily driver after only 24 hours of use. So, why not just make lmde 5 the default Mint distro and kick Ubuntu base to the curb? I feel Ubuntu is becoming a walled garden and it can't be trusted after Canonical lied about the Snap Store not replacing apt.

Anyway, thank you, Mint developers, for making lmde 5 available to the public.. excellent job!
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
jfabernathy
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Just wanted to say Thank You!

Post by jfabernathy »

I found your question the same as one I have had since testing LMDE5.

Why not use LMDE5 instead of the LM21 based on Ubuntu?

At first I used LM21 because I like the Cinnamon DE and it's well integrated with LM21. But as things pop up that irritate me, they are always caused by some new policy of some Canonical Ubuntu decision; Snap, ESM,...

At this point I'm evaluating Debian 12 Bookworm on my hardware in hope to come to some decision about the time LMDE6? based on Bookworm comes out.

What are the chances that LMDE becomes the main Linux Mint at some point??
MLED4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MLED4 »

Ubuntu has a dog in the fight against windows and mac.

Being based on Ubuntu is a better route to the wider market than being based on Debian.

For a totally linux naive person coming from windows, the Ubuntu linuxmint installer is more user-friendly. The lmde installer might be tricky for non-techie non-linuxy people.

LMDE is a backup plan because Ubuntu may one day become unusable as a base. Debian much less likely to become unusable as a base.
jfabernathy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jfabernathy »

Many people left Windows because of Microsoft's corporate ways. Ubuntu is becoming the same thing. I just hope LMDE keeps getting support moving forward as it has less of the "Corporate crap" that LM21 is stuck with because of it's ties to Ubuntu.
fat_beard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fat_beard »

TRUE!!! I've been using LMDE since 4 came out. I have LMDE 5 for my Laptop and Daily. I just upgraded to a new computer and LMDE 5 is awesome. I bet 6 I think it is called bookwurm on the Debian side of it, is going to be awseome.

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”