Totally successful upgrade to lmde5

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Linny
Level 2
Level 2

Totally successful upgrade to lmde5

Post by Linny »

After installing an ssd a couple of weeks ago (majorly sped up the computer) and upgrading the ram from 3 to 8 gigs (no noticeable speed up there), I decided to upgrade from lmde4 to 5. I had some concerns about the presence of grub customizer, and some stuff I've read about cinnamon updates after upgrading. However, the upgrade came off without a hitch. Grub was unaffected other than the selection timer was set back to the default 5 seconds from the 3 I had before, and after the upgrade, there were no issues with cinnamon nor were there any updates available regarding cinnamon (or anything else). I did notice that the computer, home, and network icons were missing from the desktop - easily fixed. All in all, a very clean upgrade, and it only took around 45 minutes to an hour - probably thanks to the ssd. My next major effort will be to move the Windows Users folder and tree to a separate partition so that data can be accessed and edited by either OS.
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hawaiihemd
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Totally successful upgrade to lmde5

Post by Hawaiihemd »

Glad the upgrade worked so seamlessly for you!

Just a heads-up concerning moving your windows data: Your choice of course, but you could also just disable "fast startup" in windows. Then editing/creating files will no longer be blocked on the NTFS system partition.
Linny
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Totally successful upgrade to lmde5

Post by Linny »

Is there a fast startup in W7?

Just googled it. W7 does not have fast startup - that was introduced in W8 or Vista. Not sure which.

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”