"Verify your ISO image" instructions for Windows users

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
citizen127
Level 1
Level 1

"Verify your ISO image" instructions for Windows users

Post by citizen127 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:39 pm

Hey all,
I just finished verifying my copy of linuxmint-18.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso on Windows 10 using these instructions:
IG = https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... erify.html
Verify page = https://linuxmint.com/verify.php
and I have some suggestions:
1. I think it would be a good idea to put the instructions from the verify page regarding "sha256sum --ignore-missing -c sha256sum.txt" in the IG. It's a faster, easier, and probably more reliable way to compare the sums than just eyeballing it.
2. It's probably worth mentioning that in order to download the sha256sum.txt and sha256sum.txt.gpg files you need to click on the file link and then right click on the page and select "Save page as..." or "Save as..." to save the file, at least in Firefox and Chrome on Windows 10. That can drive a person nuts if they're not familiar. A lot of people would try to copy and paste the text into a txt file, but that's no good.
4. In the IG, the line "You should be able to find these files in the same place you downloaded the ISO image from" is confusing if you downloaded your ISO from this page:
https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=246
That page doesn't have anything at all about those files. I know there's a link to the verify page, but that doesn't help when you're looking for txt files.
3. It would save a whole lot of time and frustration if there was more detail regarding Cygwin for Windows users. Something like this:
A. Once you have the Cygwin setup exe downloaded, open the file, click "Yes" in the Windows "User Account Control" window to allow Cygwin to make changes.
B. Click "Next" until you get to the "Cygwin - Select Packages" window.
C. In the "Cygwin - Select Packages" window, search for coreutils and select install for all of the packages in the search results.
D. In the "Cygwin - Select Packages" window, search for gpg and select install for all of the packages in the search results.
E. Click "Next" some more.
F. When the install is complete, open Cygwin Terminal and use the cd command to navigate to the directory containing your local ISO. Note that in Cygwin the path needs to be in double quotes. For example:
Jon Doe@Jon Doe ~
$ cd "C:\Users\Jon Doe\Desktop\ISO"
I know that that's a lot of nitpicky details about software that isn't Linux, but I think it's important for the future of Linux to be as welcoming as possible to new users. Also, I know that some of the packages in the searches I suggested aren't necessary to the process, but I'm not here to learn the fine points of Cygwin packages, and it worked for me.
Thanks for your time,
citizen127

Pierre
Level 16
Level 16

Re: "Verify your ISO image" instructions for Windows users

Post by Pierre » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:35 pm

since you've managed to work out the finer details, to "Verify your ISO image" in the Windows System,
- can you now write a short Tutorial to reflect, just what you managed to do ?

we can never have enough of these Guides, to help other N00Bs to get across the line,
- when they are attempting to flee the addictive World of Windows.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

sdibaja
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sdibaja » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:47 pm

use torrent downloads, then you do not need to verify the image. be a nice guy and keep the torrent running so others benefit too.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:35 am

sdibaja wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:47 pm
use torrent downloads, then you do not need to verify the image. be a nice guy and keep the torrent running so others benefit too.
While downloading through Torrent detects and repairs download errors, which downloading through a web browser doesn't do, verifying the downloaded file is not just an integrity check but also an authenticity check. The latter Torrent doesn't do for you.

sdibaja
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sdibaja » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:22 am

good point, noted

Pierre
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Pierre » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:56 am

whilst using any torrent for an ISO will work,
most of those who are still using the Windows System,
- may not have the skill level to utilize this technique,
or even be able to check / validate that ISO within their Windows System, for that matter.

so, therefore any extra Tutorial(s) that can be created,
just may have that 'extra viewpoint' that could be useful for any newcomer to the World of Linux.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

MScott
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MScott » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:30 pm

Sadly not all ISPs allow torrent downloads, mine is one of em :(
Still using Windows, testing in progress to determine if I can completely move over to Linux Mint and not lose any software or hardware needs. I'm very hopeful Mint will be my next OS.

phd21
Level 15
Level 15

Post by phd21 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:17 pm

Hi "MScott",

Tip - FYI: To prevent your ISP and others from knowing (monitoring) what you are doing and or restricting what you are doing:

1.) Change your local ISP's connection's DNS server IP addresses to safe and anonymous ones from a reliable DNS provider like "dns.watch", "opennic", "OpenDNS", etc... This is a smart thing to do anyway.

How to change DNS servers - Linux Mint/Cinnamon – OpenDNS
- Very good instructions and you can use OpenDNS servers or any DNS provider's server IP addresses.
https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/ar ... t-Cinnamon

Recent post with DNS screenshots
Trouble with university wifi - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=266001

Also, a lot of people get better performance when using IPv4 versus IPv6.
Disable IPv6 if its not supported
See #2 & #3 to set priority to "IPv4" (I use #2 & #3)
http://www.blackmoreops.com/2015/08/04/ ... -in-linux/

2.) In addition to doing Step #1, you can also use a VPN provider's servers to connect to the Internet (works on top of or with your current ISP connection to provide encrypted and anonymous Internet use). Note: as mentioned in the link below, not all VPN providers allow torrent downloading either, especially the free ones, but most paid for VPN providers do. "vpngate" is a system of free VPN servers (providers) that does allow torrenting. Tip#2: While connected to a VPN change the Torrent software client's settings to use encryption and change the network interface adapter to "tun0" (that is a zero) which is only available when you are connected to a VPN server before downloading anything; this forces the torrent software client to use the VPN server connection.

vpn - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=265922

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

MScott
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MScott » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:33 am

phd21 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:17 pm
<snip>...<snip>

Hi "MScott",

Tip - FYI: To prevent your ISP and others from knowing (monitoring) what you are doing and or restricting what you are doing:

Hope this helps ...
Hi phd21

The info is much appreciated... I'll add the links to my list of things to read :D

Oh, for those still interested, I found this online scanner, it takes a bit longer than running a tool from your system but it does get the job done. On my modest Lenovo laptop (G50-45, AMD A6-6310, 12GB RAM, Win 8.1x64) it took maybe 3 or 4 minutes. I think the max file size is 4GB so it should work with most linux distros. Download the distro to your computer then head over to ( http://onlinemd5.com/ ) and select the checksum type -- md5, sha1, or sha256, then click Browse to find and load the distro you want to verify, and so on. This option is system agnostic, Windows, Linux, Mac.

There are literally hundreds of free tools for Windows users that can very easily scan a Linux distro, create a checksum, then you would copy & paste the provided checksum from the sha256sum.txt file into the tool and Verify, very easy. I really like (and use) a free, small, and portable tool called CHK Checksum Utility -- ( http://compressme.net/ ) -- It took maybe 25 seconds to load, generate, and compare (verify) Mint 18.2 Cinnamon x64.
chk.png

The sha256sum.txt file can easily become a checksum file that can be loaded into other tools and run against the file or files listed in the database. To do this you would need to simply change the extension of the sha256sum file from .txt to .sha256, then load the file into the tool which would then show a list of files and their expected checksums... then verify the distro(s) that you have, and of course expect some "missing files" since you might only have 1 of the 5 or 6 listed in the checksum file. Again, there are numerous free tools for a Windows user, I like (and use) SFVNinja, found here -> ( http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/inde ... 408859#new )
sfvninja.png

About the validity of the checksum.txt file itself... there's the "ring of trust" that is necessary when using the gpg method to validate the checksum file, and in some cases the author's signature may not be valid (unknown) and so the ring must vouch for the author. I use a similar method with the txt file -- I figure if every mirror around the world is using the same checksums to verify the iso images (see their ftp), this is much like the ring of trust vouching for an unknown author's signature. I also check to see if there are any issues by checking the forum - listening for chatter - anyone, Bueller. Nothing is fool proof, but it works, so be vigilant just don't fret, have fun and enjoy the experience.

HTH :)
Still using Windows, testing in progress to determine if I can completely move over to Linux Mint and not lose any software or hardware needs. I'm very hopeful Mint will be my next OS.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”