Include the latest NVIDIA (and AMD) graphics drivers for a better out-of-the-box experience

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
Yfrwlf
Level 2
Level 2

Include the latest NVIDIA (and AMD) graphics drivers for a better out-of-the-box experience

Post by Yfrwlf » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:25 pm

So I hear through the grapevine that Windows 10 installs graphics drivers automatically. Regardless of whether or not that is true, I often hear about confusion around how someone gets the latest NVIDIA driver installed, because adding the graphics-driver PPA is an extra step. Some games, including all Windows games played via Proton in Steam (and DXVK+Wine), require the very latest stable NVIDIA drivers be installed, and perhaps even sometimes the beta branch driver.

I think it'd make sense to do this for users as part of their installation experience, and have NVIDIA driver updates be included in their normal system updates, with the graphics-driver PPA enabled by default. The Driver Manager could allow selecting between the latest stable, and the beta, branches. I think doing this would make Linux Mint be an even easier Linux distro to use, and would help NVIDIA users out. As for AMD users, if there is a good PPA that they should be using, such as perhaps ppa:paulo-miguel-dias/pkppa, maybe adding that PPA should also be done for when AMD graphics is detected. Better would be if these weren't PPAs but included in the main repos, but the Ubuntu repo/PPA system is what it is for now. I'm not sure why they are kept as PPAs rather than being included, but it's silly to do that when this software is so widely installed and needed.

Thoughts? :)

Thanks for reading!

EDIT: I didn't mean "automatic" installation of drivers, although that should be done if the user selects to install updates when they install Linux Mint. I meant more to make the graphics-drivers PPA added by default, or some similar solution, so that the NVIDIA driver would be installed if needed during system updates, and the ability to switch to the open source driver still available by using the Driver Manager.

karlchen
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Include the latest NVIDIA (and AMD) graphics drivers for a better out-of-the-box experience

Post by karlchen » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:27 pm

<moderator on>
Deleted unconstructive quarrel between two users.
Please, try to express your point of view in a friendly way, even if you disagree with a suggestion.
</moderator off>
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 64-bit
Ubuntu 18.04.1 32-bit Mate Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 32-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”