VeraCrypt

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
jcreek
Level 1
Level 1

VeraCrypt

Post by jcreek » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:15 am

I have been using VeraCrypt on my Linux Mint desktop for over a year now. It took a little work to install the package and I thought a the time that this would be a nice addition to the Software Manager. VeraCrypt is TrueCrypt that is now supported by a French open source organization. Thank you for considering this for future changes.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: VeraCrypt

Post by catweazel » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:20 am

jcreek wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:15 am
I have been using VeraCrypt on my Linux Mint desktop for over a year now. It took a little work to install the package and I thought a the time that this would be a nice addition to the Software Manager. VeraCrypt is TrueCrypt that is now supported by a French open source organization. Thank you for considering this for future changes.
It's a good idea, but you need to convince the upstream Ubuntu and Debian projects to include it in the repositories, not the Mint team.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:19 am

I prefer the use of those to encrypted drives, or encrypted partitions. If it's a few related files I want secured, I just put in an encrypted zip file, which capability is included in Mint.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:06 pm

I get the idea of encryption, but, in day to day use, i.e. for joe average, is there really a need?
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:49 am

I prefer the use of those to encrypted drives, or encrypted partitions.
+1
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

gittiest personITW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gittiest personITW » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:19 pm

lsemmens wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:06 pm
I get the idea of encryption, but, in day to day use, i.e. for joe average, is there really a need?
Most definitely.

Lets say you are copying a file to a flash drive that has other people's information on it. You need to take that drive to work for whatever reason or a meeting etc - lets say drive/bus/airplane.
If you lose the drive, that data is safe.
Why wouldn't you take the extra time to encrypt your portable drives?
Once the long work of encrypting a large container is done, it only takes a few seconds to encrypt your data and you have a copy of Veracrypt on the drive that isn't encrypted so it can be used.

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:09 pm

gittiest personITW wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:19 pm
lsemmens wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:06 pm
Most definitely.

Lets say you are copying a file to a flash drive that has other people's information on it. You need to take that drive to work for whatever reason or a meeting etc - lets say drive/bus/airplane.
If you lose the drive, that data is safe.
Why wouldn't you take the extra time to encrypt your portable drives?
Once the long work of encrypting a large container is done, it only takes a few seconds to encrypt your data and you have a copy of Veracrypt on the drive that isn't encrypted so it can be used.
That was my point - if you are not dealing with other people's data or travelling, what's the point?

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:21 am

Many Joes and Janes Average carry their data around these days... look at how many folks you see using laptops in coffee shops and on public transport.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

farkas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by farkas » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:43 am

by lsemmens »
As a 'joe average' , I'll only need it once in a while.
Income Tax season is approaching.
Installed VeraCypt and moved my tax files into it and I'll probably add a file with a list of all my credit card numbers and passwords.
Other than that not much else.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:09 am

farkas wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:43 am
and I'll probably add a file with a list of all my credit card numbers and passwords.
Use keepass for passwords and the like, it is one of several alternatives in linux.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

nakednorman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nakednorman » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:11 am

AndyMH wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:09 am
farkas wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:43 am
and I'll probably add a file with a list of all my credit card numbers and passwords.
Use keepass for passwords and the like, it is one of several alternatives in linux.
+1 for KeePass.
I'm currently using the latest AppImage version of KeePassXC. It's excellent.

Bender72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bender72 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:52 am

Here's a really good reason to encrypt your private files with veracrypt.

Say you buy a new harddrive, and that drive starts failing after a few months. You can no longer access the drive. You want an exchange from the seller/manufacturer, but that means you have the send the defective drive back. You can't secure erase the contents because you can no longer access the drive. On the other hand, the drive may be refurbishable, in which case you're sending someone else ALL YOUR DATA.

There are slightly more unlikely variations of this scenario. Maybe someone burglars your home and steals your hardware? Again they have your data unless it's encrypted.

Let's say you have a dual boot setup with a Win 10 that you use occasionally for gaming. We know Win 10 sends MS information about you, though it's unclear what exactly is sent. Veracrypt-secured partitions/containers that you only access from Linux will make certain Windows will never see your private files and send MS information about them.

Or perhaps you want to sell your drive on ebay. You can secure erase it of course, but for peace of mind, isn't it nicer if the contents were securely encrypted to begin with, so you know for certain there's no chance of data recovery? Admittedly, this is a weak argument and really only for the paranoid.

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:58 am

No redundant drive ever leaves my house without it first being 'repaired' with a sledgehammer or half an hour in the oven at gas mark 9 or both :D
Last edited by AndyMH on Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rootbeer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rootbeer » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:01 pm

catweazel wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:20 am
jcreek wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:15 am
It's a good idea, but you need to convince the upstream Ubuntu and Debian projects to include it in the repositories, not the Mint team.

Cheers.
doesn't mint have it's own repositories?
https://packages.linuxmint.com

or is that just for the security updates that applies specific to Linux Mint ?

it would be nice to have Veracrypt added into repositories :)

t42
Level 1
Level 1

Post by t42 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:09 pm

I don't think it's a good idea to use VeraCrypt by someone who has some difficulties to download a file from the VeraCrypt homepage, verify and install it. You need some minimal skills for that, as well as some knowledge not to encrypt your data by mistake and lost them forever.

Most important thing while install encryption software is to verify the integrity and authenticity of distribution package, i.e. make sure that the files were not altered by an attacker. One way to do so is to verify original VeraCrypt signature. You can't do that using for installation PPA or repository.

VeraCrypt for Linux has four install options. Probably Software Manager can provide for user only GUI with menu option.

Here are simple terminal commands for the latest version (see https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Downloads.html):

Code: Select all

wget https://launchpad.net/veracrypt/trunk/1.24-hotfix1/+download/veracrypt-1.24-Hotfix1-setup.tar.bz2
wget https://launchpad.net/veracrypt/trunk/1.24-hotfix1/+download/veracrypt-1.24-Hotfix1-setup.tar.bz2.sig
wget https://www.idrix.fr/VeraCrypt/VeraCrypt_PGP_public_key.asc

gpg --import VeraCrypt_PGP_public_key.asc
gpg --verify veracrypt-1.24-Hotfix1-setup.tar.bz2.sig

tar -xjf veracrypt-1.24-Hotfix1-setup.tar.bz2

Install GUI x64:
sudo ./veracrypt-1.24-Hotfix1-setup-console-x64
choose installation options  [1] or [2] then accept license

Install console x64:
sudo ./veracrypt-1.24-Hotfix1-setup-console-x64
choose installation options  [1] or [2] then accept license
-=t42=-

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:31 pm

Bender72 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:52 am
Here's a really good reason to encrypt your private files with veracrypt.

Say you buy a new harddrive, and that drive starts failing after a few months. You can no longer access the drive. You want an exchange from the seller/manufacturer, but that means you have the send the defective drive back. You can't secure erase the contents because you can no longer access the drive. On the other hand, the drive may be refurbishable, in which case you're sending someone else ALL YOUR DATA.
That is about the most lucid reason for data encryption without all the hyperbole

That said, in the unlikely event of the new drive failing, it would require a "perfect storm" for your data to fall into the wrong hands. a) the company involved may have an un-trustworthy member - unlikely b)the company that deals with warranty returns actually does refurbish the drive rather than send it to landfill (I'd suspect it's cheaper just to dump it than to repair it anyway) c)a re-furbished drive must fall into the hands of someone with nefarious intent who then thinks that there may be data on said drive to recover and d) any recovered information is actually useable.

zabba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zabba » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:24 am

I installed latest Veracrypt from Software Manager (not Software Sources) on Mint xfce 19.2, a nice and strong addition to arsenal!

Use all the time on Linux and Windows, but never encrypted whole HD, only containers.

"No redundant drive ever leaves my house without it first being 'repaired' with a sledgehammer or half an hour in the oven at gas mark 9 or both"

A good and very heavy sledgehammer :D
Last edited by zabba on Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

t42
Level 1
Level 1

Post by t42 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:16 am

zabba wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:24 am
installed latest Veracrypt from Software Sources on Mint xfce 19.2
There is no VeraCrypt in the Linux MInt 18.2 default Software Sources. VeraCrypt is included in the MX Linux repositories - latest version in testing and previous in stable. They are binary different from those presented on the VeraCrypt home site.

Also you can install unsupported packages by adding to Linux Mint or Ubuntu an untrusted PPA for Unit193. Please understand that updates from an untrusted source might break security if the owner of the PPA gets compromised.

If you’re so serious as to encrypt your data, please don’t download VeraCrypt from any other place than the original site veracrypt.fr/en/Downloads.html
Last edited by t42 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
-=t42=-

zabba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zabba » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:44 am

't42'...You are right, I have PPA for Unit193 on my Software Sources.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”