other languages

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
markus-1969
Level 1
Level 1

other languages

Post by markus-1969 »

Hello,

I have just installed linux mint 64 bit XFCE on a new computer. During the installation process, I have selected GERMAN as language.

Once the installation was finished, I have checked the settings in "Einstellungen / Sprachen" (settings / languages): German was selected.

I did not click on "Systemgebietsschema - systemweit anwenden" (apply settings systemwde).

Then I have started firefox.

Firefox is running in English menues.

Once Firefox was started, It does not help to click on "apply German as the language for the whole system" - it did not help to reboot the PC and it did not help to look in firefox in about:config:

-> Suggestion: modify the installation program. Just before the installation is finished, the language selected by the user is applied for the whole system: The order for the system tu use German as Language has to be applied again,

magnus7
Level 3
Level 3

Re: other languaguages:

Post by magnus7 »

markus-1969
Level 1
Level 1

Re: other languages

Post by markus-1969 »

magnus7 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:09 pm
Install language packs.
1)

That's what I am talking about:

After the installation, the language pack is already installed by the installation medium so that the user does not see that it is necessary to re-install the language packs at the end of the installation

2)

the result is that you have to go through the settings in each application that was started before the language "German" was installed ...

it is quite easier if the installation program re-installs the language pack automatically at the end of the installation to avoid that an application does not recognize other languages than English.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

The German language packs should be pulled automatically from the internet during the installation of Linux Mint, when installing Mint in German with internet connection.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

markus-1969
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markus-1969 »

The German language packs should be pulled automatically from the internet during the installation of Linux Mint, when installing Mint in German with internet connection.
it should. but it does not. I am not sure if there was an Internet connection during the installation.

At the beginning of the installation i have chosen "German keyboard" and "German language".

At the end of the installation, the German language pack should be installed and seemed to be installed but it was not.

If you do not re-install the German Language pack, you will have some menus in English and others in German.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

markus-1969 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:28 pm
I am not sure if there was an Internet connection during the installation.
Very probably there wasn't. Klare Sache, und damit hopp. :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

markus-1969
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markus-1969 »

Very probably there wasn't. Klare Sache, und damit hopp.
The end of the installation showed that the language packs are installed - but they were not installed; no matter what the reason is, the bug is that the user believes that the language packs are installed

if the requested language packs are not installed at the end of the installation process, there *must* be a message "re-install language packs for German"

but there was no message

qdb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qdb »

a "!" in triangle icon appear after some time after boot... 40 seconds, as written in autostart. when you click that icon, an app opens and you see it suggests to install language packs.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

absque fenestris
Level 7
Level 7

Post by absque fenestris »

Has the keyboard adopted the German layout? And did you test ä, ö, ü, z and y during the language and keyboard settings? If so, you really can't do much more.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”