A small footnote for the "Release Notes" page

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
gf10
Level 1
Level 1

A small footnote for the "Release Notes" page

Post by gf10 »

Hey guys, I had a lot of trouble and it took me quite a while to find a solution to this problem and it arises from using a suggestion present in the "Release Notes" section.

My laptop works really well with the Synaptics touchpad drivers and they're not default in the newer versions. When using the instructions from the "Touchpad drivers" section, the touchpad driver is replaced with the correct ones, but every other input stops working, as libinput stops controlling everything else.

What solved my problem was installing the package xserver-xorg-input-all as well, the final command is:

Code: Select all

apt install xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
That way, synaptics controls the touchpad and everything else uses libinput drivers.

I don't know if it's a recurring theme over here, but I think that may help other users.

vimes666
Level 3
Level 3

Re: A small footnote for the "Release Notes" page

Post by vimes666 »

Thanks

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi gf10,

Was installing synaptics on its own trying to remove something otherwise?

Looking at my lists here, I see xserver-xorg-input-all is already installed by default in every release/edition.

gf10
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gf10 »

clem wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:51 am
Hi gf10,

Was installing synaptics on its own trying to remove something otherwise?

Looking at my lists here, I see xserver-xorg-input-all is already installed by default in every release/edition.
Hey clem, sorry for the late reply

You are correct, xserver-xorg-input-all is installed in every release. One thing I didn't notice before your comment is that installing xserver-xorg-input-synaptics will actually remove xserver-xorg-input-all and a bunch of other packages, as you can see here (testing in a VM):
https://i.imgur.com/VRausev.png

Therefore, reinstalling xserver-xorg-input-all might actually be a necessary extra step.

Best regards

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

gf10 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:52 pm
You are correct, xserver-xorg-input-all is installed in every release. One thing I didn't notice before your comment is that installing xserver-xorg-input-synaptics will actually remove xserver-xorg-input-all and a bunch of other packages, as you can see here (testing in a VM):

Therefore, reinstalling xserver-xorg-input-all might actually be a necessary extra step.
It's not, the 19.3 release notes are just pointing to the wrong package and should get fixed. On 19.3 you must install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-hwe-18.04. On 19.3 systems where you've already done the damage, install xserver-xorg-hwe-18.04 again first.

PS: I like your forum handle. :lol:
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

gf10
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gf10 »

gm10 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:27 pm
gf10 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:52 pm

It's not, the 19.3 release notes are just pointing to the wrong package and should get fixed. On 19.3 you must install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-hwe-18.04. On 19.3 systems where you've already done the damage, install xserver-xorg-hwe-18.04 again first.

PS: I like your forum handle. :lol:
Good tip, just tested and it works too. Very nice handle, btw :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”