Encountered a Problem in Mint and Want to Offer a Suggestion for Improvement?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Not support questions here please. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
glenns
Level 1
Level 1

Encountered a Problem in Mint and Want to Offer a Suggestion for Improvement?

Post by glenns »

This thread is to aid the developers in improving Mint. The newly Minted user oftentimes becomes so overwhelmed with struggles when first acclimating to the operating system that one wonders if there was ever any beta testing done at all.
Therefore, this thread is here to help. Not so much to assist the Mint user specifically, but to aid the developers. If, at any time, the devs want suggestions to improve the OS, they can always come here to brainstorm.

Knowing all that, I'll start first...

When trying to install Rufus, I get a prompt that asks if I want to write over several [supposed] existing files. But when I go to look at where these files are located, Mint says they're located in /Home/Glenns/.rtsc/DIALOG. But when I go to /Home/Glenns, I don't see any such subfolder, .rtsc, or DIALOG. Therefore, what I propose is for the devs to display the correct files in the correct folders when trying to download software using the Archive Manager.
To show you the sheer ridiculousness of the situation, I've decided to include a screenshot of the silliness. The dialog box in the middle asks me if I wanna replace the current file with the /home/glenns/.rtsc/DIALOG file, while in the background is the /home/glenns file for all to see. Notice that there is no /.rtsc/DIALOG anywhere in the /Home/Glenns file.

Last edited by glenns on Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Encountered a Problem in Mint and Want to Offer a Suggestion for Improvement?

Post by Moem »

glenns wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:53 am
This thread is to aid the developers in improving Mint.
Then it belongs in Suggestions & Feedback, so I have moved it. It is not a thread for questions, after all.

By the way, we can't see an image that resides in your computer. And I don't think that is a bad thing...
You can either upload the image as an attachment, if it's below 200Kb, or upload it on an image hosting site and post the link enclosed in [rimg][/rimg] tags.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
glenns
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Encountered a Problem in Mint and Want to Offer a Suggestion for Improvement?

Post by glenns »

It belongs in Suggestions and Feedback, sure, but nevertheless, I am curious, why is my computer saying I havee a file in /glenns/ when no such file seems to exist? Since I got the picture up, you can now refer to it for clarity...
Moem
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Moem »

glenns wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:08 am
nevertheless, I am curious, why is my computer saying I havee a file in /glenns/ when no such file seems to exist?
That is a question, and quite different from a suggestion for improvement. My own suggestion to you is that you separate the question and the suggestion into two separate topics, each in the most fitting section.

(Could it be that the file is present but hidden? Press Ctrl+h to show hidden files.)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Flemur
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Flemur »

glenns wrote:
Notice that there is no /.rtsc/DIALOG anywhere in the /Home/Glenns file.
That's because you're not showing "hidden" files, which begin with a dot "." - hit Ctrl+H to see them.

Also, /Home/Glenns is NOT the same as /home/glenns because linux is almost always case-sensitive.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Portreve
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Portreve »

Flemur wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:26 am
glenns wrote:
Notice that there is no /.rtsc/DIALOG anywhere in the /Home/Glenns file.
That's because you're not showing "hidden" files, which begin with a dot "." - hit Ctrl+H to see them.

Also, /Home/Glenns is NOT the same as /home/glenns because linux is almost always case-sensitive.
Aw dude, you beat me to it! Twice! :lol:

I like the fact that with probably any Linux distro, and certainly with LM and Cinnamon, it's easy for normal users to show and hide hidden files and folders. Trying to get at hidden folders in either Windows or macOS is clearly not as simple as typing CTRL + H.

As a side note, the way → H ← is pronounced in English can be significantly different from country to country. AY - tsch in America, HAY - tsch in Australia, etc. And that's to say nothing of HAW in German.
Your intermittently humble Portreve.

Body Type: Clearly not one to turn down a taco.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)