installer short password

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Not support questions here please. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Lessss
Level 2
Level 2

installer short password

Post by Lessss »

installer short password
During install you can use a short password like 4 characters, but once rebooted and you try to log in it says you can't use short passwords.
I knew how to change the password using the boot disc, but that's a minor bug that should be patched or at least add the verbiage to the password creation screen.
rene
Level 18
Level 18

Re: installer short password

Post by rene »

Once installed you simply do sudo passwd $(whoami).

[EDIT] Wait. Rereading, are you saying that the installer let you set a password which you could then on first login not in fact use? If that happened it's not "a minor bug" I'd say --- even if I'm quite sceptical that it did happen.
rickNS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rickNS »

rene wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:08 am

Wait. Rereading, are you saying that the installer let you set a password which you could then on first login not in fact use? If that happened it's not "a minor bug" I'd say --- even if I'm quite sceptical that it did happen.

I'm a bit skeptical too, as I have set up MANY virtual machines with just a 2 (two) character password, never an issue to reboot / login.
And not just with Mint, but many others too, Debain, Ubuntu, MX, Antix, Arch, Solus etc.
Mint 19.0 + 20.0 MATE on 3 identical T420 Thinkpads, and a T450 Thinkpad.
rene
Level 18
Level 18

Post by rene »

Sorry for not closing [i]...[/i] correctly :)
Flemur
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Flemur »

Lessss wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:34 am
, but once rebooted and you try to log in it says you can't use short passwords.
The lightdm login screen actually says "you can't use short passwords" rather than something like "incorrect password"?

What exactly is "it", and what exactly does it say?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Lessss
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lessss »

yes I set the machine up as user = user
password = user with auto login

so ...
user
user

once off the disc and booted it would not let me use that as a password.
I just did an edit of grub and rw init=/bin/bash to make a longer one.

Go ahead try it ...
rene
Level 18
Level 18

Post by rene »

Lessss wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:12 pm
yes I set the machine up as user = user
password = user with auto login

so ...
user
user

once off the disc and booted it would not let me use that as a password.
I just did an edit of grub and rw init=/bin/bash to make a longer one.

Go ahead try it ...
Just did exactly that. All works fine. Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon, new (legacy) install into VirtualBox 6.1, (machinename=)username=password="user", autologin, all fine. Logout and manual login, still all fine. Which is also as expected, and it's very unclear what on earth would in your case have told you that "you can't use short password" as certainly LightDM would not.

But can in any case then not help: Works For Me.
AZgl1500
Level 16
Level 16
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Lessss wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:34 am
installer short password
During install you can use a short password like 4 characters, but once rebooted and you try to log in it says you can't use short passwords.
I knew how to change the password using the boot disc, but that's a minor bug that should be patched or at least add the verbiage to the password creation screen.
During the initial 'fresh install', I use a Single Character password, and set it to Automatic Login.

Have not had one single problem with that for more than 5 years.

However, no one ever touches my PCs in my home, without me showing them something on the screen.

In an area, where multiple people have access to a computer, that is NOT a good idea.

. the funny part is, if I ask someone to try and log into my computer, they guess all kinds of multiple character words, birthdays for me, the wife, the kids, etc.... I do that by causing the Screen blanker to kick in.... that requires a password... :idea:

no one has every tried to guess a single character password on my PCs. :mrgreen:
LM 19.3 Cinnamon until it Fades into the Sunset on an ASUS FX705GM
LM 20.x on a Lenovo E550 ThinkPad - to monitor its' progress