Feature request #2: Miracast (display over wifi)

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
JLC17
Level 3
Level 3

Feature request #2: Miracast (display over wifi)

Post by JLC17 »

that is whatever Windows machines do when you press Win+K and wireless throw your screen to a TV with Miracast.

It was lacking this that stopped me rolling out a 40-Mint desktop setup at work last year.
acerimusdux
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Feature request #2: Miracast (display over wifi)

Post by acerimusdux »

Yes, this would be really useful.

And while there are likely issues with proprietary formats used by most all of these tvs and google/amazon/apple devces, etc., I would think there should at least be an easy way by now to cast between two linux devices using an open source solution.
Last edited by acerimusdux on Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLC17
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JLC17 »

All I know is I never again want to go to a presentation with my Mint laptop, and be invited to "just press Win+K" to connect to a wireless projector and then look like a prize idiot.

After that I tried exporting the presentation to PPT, but whatever LibreOffice does, it ain't powerpoint.

Finally they found a HDMI cable, and I was good to go.

Luckily - because I'm pretty amazing - I got the job. And in 9 months of supporting Win 10 laptops, I saw Miracast being used every day by all staff.

That's one place that won't be interested in 150 Mint desktops - no matter how much it saves in MS licensing.

This isn't a "niche" feature that was invented in 2021. It's baseline functionality from at least 2012 and there's no excuse for ignoring it in 2022.

One of the senior managers carried an MS Surface adapter around so that any TV could become a screen for a Windows machine.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

JLC17 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:55 am that is whatever Windows machines do when you press Win+K and wireless throw your screen to a TV with Miracast.
Here are some linux programs to do it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast#Linux_desktop
Good luck! Post back if you get something working.

Question: Does Miracast SHOW WHATEVER IS ON THE DESKTOP or does it just show certain types of files?

I made a post here about the confusing language about "screen mirroring":
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=358911&hilit=cast
and it turns out the "screen mirroring" isn't screen mirroring at all, it just shows some movie or jpg files, etc (and the TV couldn't read half the jpgs), but I wanted to see an android game displayed on the TV, and no dice with that.

That wiki article has the same confusing terminology:
"Miracast is "effectively a wireless HDMI cable, copying everything from one screen to another using the H.264 codec " = shows whatever's on the screen.

but then

"Types of media streamed
Miracast can stream videos that are in 1080p..." = it just shows a file, which you wouldn't have to do if it showed whatever was on the screen.... ???
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
JLC17
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JLC17 »

Question: Does Miracast SHOW WHATEVER IS ON THE DESKTOP or does it just show certain types of files?
In my experience it's just a desktop mirror - with audio too.

In Windows display settings you can set which desktop you want to cast. You can also reverse/invert desktops if you've got a shonky monitor (or want to reflect the desktop in a mirror like the old style video games).
muhash
Level 1
Level 1

Post by muhash »

Same situation here, but after a 1 hour search, I tried gnome-network-dispalys in linuxmint 20.3 Una Xfce with a 5.4.x kernel. And It works perfectly.

Here is what i do:

1. follow the instruction of pipwire install here: https://pipewire-debian.github.io/pipew ... ket_mylist
2. install gnome-network-displays from flathub: https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gn ... rkDisplays

Open your TV with miracast support and wait for notebook connect. Open gnome-network-displays from Whisker menu you can see your device, click to connect.

Thanks to the pipewire ppa maintainer and flatpak support makes this task so easy !

Edit:
During using, the gnome-network-displays has a high CPU usage about ~150%
Maxwell-J
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Maxwell-J »

will try this out

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”