32 bit machines ?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

32 bit machines ?

Post by Peter Linu »

Hiyall,
I have just re-installed XFCE 32 bit on an aging laptop after trying out several other DEs. I guess I'm accustomed to Mint because I find it superior.
My question is this. Many of us old geezers have aging computers and aren't interested in upgrading for the simple activities we do. Is it possible to organise for one 32 bit DE to be maintained so that it NEVER reaches end-of-life?
In fact preferably without any installed apps so I/we can install the very few that are needed.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: 32 bit machines ?

Post by Pierre »

this is an really tricky scenario,
as the computer world has been moving over to 64bit,
for the last several years or so.

the latest version(s) of this LinuxMint System are now 64bit only,
and in my experience, most modern PCs now do seem to have an 64bit CPU within it.

the only PCs that do seem to be 32bit only, are from the Windows-XP era,
and most of the later machines do have an 64bit CPU within them.

it is possible to check, just what the CPU in your machine, actually is,
and then decide whether to switch to an 64bit system.

in the last few years, I've switched most of the remaining PCs over to an 64bit version of LinuxMint.
and there is one Laptop still on MX-Linux 32bit .. could still be changed over to an 64 bit version,
and the one Laptop that is still on LM17 32bit .. could also be changed, as well.
those could get switched, some day.
8)

you would have to move to another Linux System, such as MX-Linux,
if your machine actually does have an 32bit CPU within it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Pierre,
I know all that about 64 bit.
If my 2 laptops needing 32 bit would work efficiently on 64 bit, don't you think I would have converted them by now?
I believe that you would gain an enthusiastic following by having a 32 bit alternative. You wouldn't need to upgrade it in fact, we'd be grateful if you didn't. Bug fixes and malware protection would be good. As I said before, perhaps without any programs. Just access to Program Manager.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Yeah
your idea is an good one.
:)

however, the Team.LinuxMint is fairly small,
and may not have the resources to take on another version.
- which is partly, why they dropped the KDE version of the LinuxMint System.

thus, if you do wish to update an older 32bit machine,
- you could have to consider another Linux System
such as MX-Linux .. for example.
:arrow:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I do not think that is possible. The problem is that there is no recent Ubuntu 32-bits version available as a base.

So then it would basically mean 'keep supporting Mint 19 forever'. You say you don't even need any programs, just access to Program Manager; assuming that you mean the Software Manager, what good is that if there is no software offered that runs on 32-bits Ubuntu 16.04 anymore?

So that means 'keep all the old repositories online forever, and also keep patching all that old software for security, and also keep patching the old OS itself'.
I don't think that anyone can spare the time to keep doing all of that.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Moem,
I understand the predicament. It's just as easy for me to go out and buy a new tiny laptop for AUS$375.
The question still remains; what do I do with a perfectly-good older laptop?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Peter Linu wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:57 am The question still remains; what do I do with a perfectly-good older laptop?
Well, by its very nature it is, I would argue, no longer perfectly good. The machine still functions as before, but the world around it has changed and it's no longer suitable for that world.
But it can be used for offline purposes, for as long as you please and as long as it will continue to work.

For interacting with the rest of the world, you will need a more modern machine. Just like you shouldn't take a horse-drawn cart on the highway even if the cart and horse are still perfectly good.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Coggy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Coggy »

I've got 32-bit Debian with XFCE on some old netbooks which I keep just in case I want to try out odd things occasionally. They're slow, and most apps these days assume a larger screen than they have, but they do work. Maybe that's the way to go for you. Ubuntu is based on Debian, so the differences aren't all that huge.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Dear Coggy,
Thanks for your interest. My decision is made. I will stick with Mint XFCE until it is no longer supported (next year) and then discover my options. I hate throwing away anything that works however this may be an exception. I could give it to a 'learner' I guess.
raspu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by raspu »

You always can try LMDE 5 32 bit. It works quite well in a pair of 32 bit computers (one laptop, one desktop) I still use occasionally.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Peter Linu wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:36 am I could give it to a 'learner' I guess.
That would be unkind. If the computer does not work for an expert, what is a learner going to do with it other than be completely flummoxed.
Cliff Coggin
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Peter Linu wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:36 am I could give it to a 'learner' I guess.
Wouldn't a 'learner' want to use the internet? It's not safe to do that with an unsupported OS.

Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

:!: what do you suggest that I do with it?
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

We have an old eMachines Acer laptop which originally had 32 bit XP (?) on it. It ended up with 32 bit MATE. I happened to notice mention that it had a 64 bit CPU so tried a 64 bit 20.3 Cinnamon on an SSD. Yes it worked though slower. Why worry, the MATE might be End Of Support (EOS) but definitely not End Of Life (EOL), a term used by MS to try and get people to spend money.

If the laptop is used while travelling and somehow gets hacked, so what?

What the OP hasn't said is the make and model of the laptop being considered.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

RollyShed wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:54 am If the laptop is used while travelling and somehow gets hacked, so what?
Someone's banking details or other important data might be compromised. I would consider that to be a big deal.

BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Peter Linu wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:41 am :!: what do you suggest that I do with it?
A few years ago I acquired several 32-bit laptops. I was able to extend their useful life with Linux, but what I ended up with is a fully functional OS on a handful of barely functional machines. So I scavenged the HDDs and "donated" the rest to a small computer repair shop for parts and recycling.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
iliketrains
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iliketrains »

There are computers in my shop that haven't seen updates for years and they will run until organ donors can no longer be found.
If using local network, or no network, and the software suits the purpose there's no need to update.... ever.
For some specialized purposes new hardware is worse hardware. Put old stuff online before tossing, don't force us to dumpster dive :)

Hint: minimum Debian install and build from there. They support old stuff, for how much longer would be guessing.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Peter Linu wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:41 am :!: what do you suggest that I do with it?
Hi,

Couple your two 32 bits computers and change them to a virtual 64 bits one! :mrgreen:
See: https://www.quora.com/Can-you-combine-2 ... t-computer

Seriously? You got the answer, keep them for offline use, with good (?) old programs.

Regards,

MN

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”