[Suggestion] Add an option to change the speed of the wheel of the mouse

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Not support questions here please. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
hbth652SD

[Suggestion] Add an option to change the speed of the wheel of the mouse

Post by hbth652SD »

Every time that I install Linux Mint or Ubuntu, the speed of the scroll wheel is very slow. This has happened to me in 2 computers and is not easy to beginners to change the speed. It should be an option in Linux Mint configuration to change that without installing anything. Thanks for this great distro, keep the work :D
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [Suggestion] Add an option to change the speed of the wheel of the mouse

Post by ricardogroetaers »

Good sugestion.
Perhaps the developers of the graphic environments did not remember that the mouse currently has a wheel.
tekknj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tekknj »

So true. And I know there is a third party program out there that is suppose to be a solution, but it is a pain to configure and doesn't operate that well. This scroll speed is a show stopper for me. It's just as bad as the desktop scaling issues.
MattyWS
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MattyWS »

+1 to this. I did end up using IMWheel to configure my mouse wheel but honestly it should be a setting. I I have to duckduckgo how to change my mouse wheel speed thats already a fail in the UX but to have to install IM Wheel, then copy code into the text editor and run it is pretty net level unnecessary to me.

That said, mouse settings in general would be nice, cursor speed, dpi, mouse wheel speed etc.
gt4w4al
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gt4w4al »

+1
I am also a new comer, and I don't want to spend time and create a file for something like this.
It's a shame because Mint is quite really good and easy to use.
I hope it will come soon !
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

The scrolling speed is often an in-built feature of many apps. So, it's not related to LM but the way the apps manage scrolling. Let's take Firefox as our illustrative example :
- in the Edit / Preference Menu, General, Browsing there is a Use smooth scrolling check box. Scrolling is a bit faster when unchecked.
- if this isn't satisfactory, fine-tuning can be done in about:config :
mousewheel.acceleration.start is set by default to -1 (disabled). Enable is 0, which also enables the mousewheel.acceleration.factor to be taken in account and eventually changed.

The LM team cannot take such hidden things in account, especially as they may change as often as Mozilla says.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mattlach »

This has been a frustration of mine as well.

The imwheel solution technically works, but movement is very jerky, so it is not a real solution. Nor are the a about:config settings in Firefox as mentioned in this thread. It results in very difficult to control acceleration.

It is highly hardware dependent. Some mice play very nice in Mint, but others do not. The one I have for my laptop is one of the latter.
Aztaroth wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:27 pm
The LM team cannot take such hidden things in account, especially as they may change as often as Mozilla says.
I wonder how Microsoft accomplishes this in windows. The same mouse has none of these problems in windows.
Corsair 1000D, Threadripper 3960x, Asus ROG Zenith II, 64GB, 2TB Phison E16, AMD Radeon 6900XT, 43" Asus XG438Q, 2x Dell 2007FP, Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
Server: 2x E5-2650v2 (16C/32T), SuperMicro X9DRI-F, 256GB RAM, 120TB ZFS
aussieJoe12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aussieJoe12 »

+1 for mouse wheel settings.

I recently installed LM 20.3 and was surprised the mouse wheel still isnt supported. I'm grateful for a great OS, and I use imwheel for the mouse wheel but was surprised. It would be nice if this was a setting in the mouse settings. Having said that, I dont know how you could easily make a setting for mouse wheel given my imwheelrc file has different settings for different applications.
pkcinna
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pkcinna »

Given many people use a mouse, one might assume the defaults would be similar to other operating systems for wheel speed and that there would be a standard way to adjust it. IMWheel is a hassle and it may impact subtle behaviors in misc apps like VirtualBox VM.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”