Suggestion: yt-dlp instead of youtube-dl

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Nikolai5
Level 4
Level 4

Suggestion: yt-dlp instead of youtube-dl

Post by Nikolai5 »

Hi,
I noticed that youtube-dl is installed by default on Linux Mint.

I would like to suggest that the application yt-dlp be installed in it's place. It's considerably faster, has more features, is more actively developed, more stable and supports more sites.

In other words, it does the same job and more. If you're going to include a video downloader program in the base install, you might as well choose the best one since it's already in the repo.
Last edited by SMG on Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Chat about Linux Mint to Suggestions & Feedback.
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Suggestion: yt-dlp instead of youtube-dl

Post by Dan-cer »

I can confirm this. Youtube-dl was getting slower and switching to yt-dlp is the solution!
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

The problem with Youtube-dl is it is notoriously unmaintained.

This is why I simply start up a VM and run WinX YT Downloader pointed to a shared folder with MUCH better results.... nvm it's proper GUI feature set.
Nikolai5
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Nikolai5 »

rambo919 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:16 am The problem with Youtube-dl is it is notoriously unmaintained.

This is why I simply start up a VM and run WinX YT Downloader pointed to a shared folder with MUCH better results.... nvm it's proper GUI feature set.
That's a lot more work than just typing "yt-dlp youtube.com/coolvideo". So the suggestion of replacing youtube-dl with yt-dlp still stands. I don't think Linux Mint are going to consider replacing it with a pre-installed virtual machine running windows just to get a Windows app running haha.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Nikolai5 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:29 am
rambo919 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:16 am The problem with Youtube-dl is it is notoriously unmaintained.

That's a lot more work than just typing "yt-dlp youtube.com/coolvideo". So the suggestion of replacing youtube-dl with yt-dlp still stands. I don't think Linux Mint are going to consider replacing it with a pre-installed virtual machine running windows just to get a Windows app running haha.
It works for me, the features of the app are worth it, if only for the option to change resolutions depending on size per either vid or playlist.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

youtube-dl is installed as a recommends (optional) dependency for hypnotix and celluloid. Both of these apps can make use of it if it is installed. Linux Mint installs recommends dependencies by default hence youtube-dl is installed because hypnotix and celluloid are installed. It is not installed as a convenience for CLI users though of course bonus if you can also make use of it.

Personally I also use yt-dlp though I can't say (with objective proof) what the benefits for hypnotic and celluloid would be to switch. You can install yt-dlp and youtube-dl side by side without issue so it's not hindering user choice.

Upstream Celluloid already supports yt-dlp https://github.com/celluloid-player/cel ... issues/702 but it's not in the Linux Mint version yet. I'll throw this up to the Linux Mint developers to consider.
Nikolai5
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Nikolai5 »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:03 pm youtube-dl is installed as a recommends (optional) dependency for hypnotix and celluloid. Both of these apps can make use of it if it is installed. Linux Mint installs recommends dependencies by default hence youtube-dl is installed because hypnotix and celluloid are installed. It is not installed as a convenience for CLI users though of course bonus if you can also make use of it.

Personally I also use yt-dlp though I can't say (with objective proof) what the benefits for hypnotic and celluloid would be to switch. You can install yt-dlp and youtube-dl side by side without issue so it's not hindering user choice.

Upstream Celluloid already supports yt-dlp https://github.com/celluloid-player/cel ... issues/702 but it's not in the Linux Mint version yet. I'll throw this up to the Linux Mint developers to consider.
Thank you for the explanation, I didn't realise it was being used as an optional dependency in those applications.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”