lmde5 installer: timeout too short

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Not support questions here please. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
grubernd
Level 1
Level 1

lmde5 installer: timeout too short

Post by grubernd »

Hi..

for someone not used to the exact content and order of items in the live boot media the selection timeout is way too short.

It took me several attempts to read enough of the page to even stop the menu from auto-continuing and booting into a live session.
A pain when using not the latest and greatest USB-media and/or machine.

I know it is not a real problem, but rather an annoyance aka bad experience for someone trying out the distro.

cheers,
grubernd
Last edited by SMG on Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from LMDE: Installation & Boot to Suggestions & Feedback.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: lmde5 installer: timeout too short

Post by antikythera »

to stop the countdown just press one of the up or down arrow keys to move the highlight. then you can read at your leisure and move it back to the top entry if desired before booting
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
grubernd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grubernd »

antikythera wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:28 pm
to stop the countdown just press one of the up or down arrow keys to move the highlight. then you can read at your leisure and move it back to the top entry if desired before booting
Figured that one out, yes.

But the time to read anything is still so short, that only those who know, will know
and they don't need a text to read, because, well, they already know - if you catch my drift.

There are still various ways to make this experience better for the user.

Move the text "what to do" to the top of the page.
Make that text bigger.
Increase the timeout by a few seconds.
Or all of the above.

I am rather used to various installer, bios, boot, whatever option timeout menues.
But this one was one of the few that was way too fast.

Just reporting back how the system feels for a user that is not used to the LM way.
- mostly a BunsenLabs and debian "no gui" guy myself.

cheers,
grubernd
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Indeed, I did get where you are coming from but was merely offering a workaround in the meantime. They could set the timeout to 1 minute for the Live media grub config, that would also allow for any menu display delays too when using a panel with several inputs which 'auto' detects or a KVM switch

If you boot in EFI mode, the grub menu uses the native panel resolution. In legacy mode it doesn't. I am not sure of the reasoning but all distribution ISO work like this, so it's possibly a quirk of EFI mode.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”