Enlightenment 0.25

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
tenplus1
Level 1
Level 1

Enlightenment 0.25

Post by tenplus1 »

I've had a friend suggest the Enlightenment 0.25 desktop for a new flavour of Linux Mint as it runs a fully customizable desktop with plenty of eye candy that not only runs on older systems, but does so with around 300mb or memory usage which is a lot lower than the current XFCE flavour.

Not only that, it has experimental wayland support in the works which can help with newer desktops once it's complete. How would an Enlightement version of Mint sound ?
smawgmaw
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Enlightenment 0.25

Post by smawgmaw »

That sounds good and something I would be in favor of. I usually install the Enlightenment DE to many distros that do not come with it by default because I like its low resource usuage and many ways to customize it to my liking.
tenplus1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tenplus1 »

I've been running Enlightenment 0.25.3-1 most of the morning now while doing application checks for things like themes and it all works, gtk and qt5 themes work fine (qt set to gtk2), and compositing works really well for built-in cpu/gpu and amazingly has a far better glmark2 score than using LxQt or XFCE.

Had a play around with some emulation and steam/gog/epic games using Heroic and it all seems to work well from windowed to full screen. Looks like I've found myself a new desktop manager :)
scowal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by scowal »

I would love to get a linux mint option with enlightenment. At the moment i bounce back and forth between Bohdi and mint. Its just that linux mint does a much better job of being up to day and has a greater choice of software. So i keep coming back. Enlightenment has always been one of my favorite DEs from way back. Then suddenly i had to download and install it myself. I had always installed it on Debian. Then ubuntu and now linux mint wont include it. Bravo for you requesting it. My hopes are up.
scowal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by scowal »

Oh Enlightenment has excellent support for multi monitors. If you like having different settings for different monitors Enlightenment works like a charm.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

If you want it on Mint you can install it & select it at log on..
https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/20 ... ntu-20-04/
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

scowal wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:48 am I had always installed it on Debian. Then ubuntu and now linux mint wont include it.
You're almost making it sound like Mint used to have Enlightenment.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
scowal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by scowal »

Moem wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:20 pm
scowal wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:48 am I had always installed it on Debian. Then ubuntu and now linux mint wont include it.
You're almost making it sound like Mint used to have Enlightenment.
No it did not. I was referring to the history of the Debian linux. Debian always included and still does. Ubuntu in the early start included it with it. Linux Mint never included it. Im talking when you install, like in debian, you choose as it installs. That has went away to specific flavors you download. I think this is a good thing that Mint has done. I just wish i did not have to install and configure it myself. I prefer straight out the box experience. If i was an linux expert, which im not even close, i would most likely go down the Arch line. I would end up with a system that crashed if i tried that now.
Sorry for the confusion.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”