Linux Mint 21.1 Vera: request for modification of default sounds for login and logoff

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Linux Mint 21.1 Vera: request for modification of default sounds for login and logoff

Post by Pjotr »

I quite like Mint 21.1 Vera. Especially the mouse pointer was an agreeable surprise!

But I have a suggestion for its default logon and logoff sounds. Currently, those sounds in Vera are a bit disagreeable to me.

Their pitch is a little too high for me; I find them too "penetrating". It would be nicer to my ears if their pitch would be lowered somewhat.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Mint 21.1 Vera: request for modification of default sounds for login and logoff

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint 21.1 Beta feedback can be given on the blog post announcing it. It has not yet been announced.
meToo

Re: Linux Mint 21.1 Vera: request for modification of default sounds for login and logoff

Post by meToo »

Pjotr, you may be able to edit the system sounds to suit your personal requirements. Locate the sounds files and edit them with audacity, where the pitch for example can be changed. You could even make your own sound files. Not sure where the files are in Mint 21 but in Mint 20 they are to be found in usr/share/sounds and .local/share/sounds. If you do so, I recommend that you rename the existing sound files and edit copies rather than the original, making it easy to revert to original.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

meToo wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:54 am Pjotr, you may be able to edit the system sounds to suit your personal requirements. Locate the sounds files and edit them with audacity, where the pitch for example can be changed. You could even make your own sound files. Not sure where the files are in Mint 21 but in Mint 20 they are to be found in usr/share/sounds and .local/share/sounds. If you do so, I recommend that you rename the existing sound files and edit copies rather than the original, making it easy to revert to original.
Yes, thanks, but I was already familiar with that.... I'd like better defaults. Better in my eyes, or rather ears. :wink:
meToo

Post by meToo »

Pjotr wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:08 am Yes, thanks, but I was already familiar with that.... I'd like better defaults. Better in my eyes, or rather ears. :wink:
OK, but other users may prefer the existing defaults, the old saying 'you can't satisfy all of the people all of the time' :)
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

meToo wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:03 pm
Pjotr wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:08 am Yes, thanks, but I was already familiar with that.... I'd like better defaults. Better in my eyes, or rather ears. :wink:
OK, but other users may prefer the existing defaults, the old saying 'you can't satisfy all of the people all of the time' :)
True, that's why I specifically avoided generalization in my qualification....

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”