Bringing back the question of a Minimal Installation Option

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
No support questions here please. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Doruletz
Level 4
Level 4

Bringing back the question of a Minimal Installation Option

Post by Doruletz »

I read the previous post, from January 2022, so I will try to be as clear as possible here, to avoid any ill-will and confusion...

Besides Gentoo and Arch who both have a strictly CLI type installation, where you start from nothing and build something, there are other Distros that do offer a minimal install option.
I'm talking about Fedora and Ubuntu, which have the option of a minimal install, that leaves all the rest up to the user.
Typically that only gets you a CLI (Terminal type) environment, where you can start installing whatever it is that you want and need on top of a minimal, bare-bones operating system.
For example, I always install from the Fedora Server ISO, and choose what Desktop Environment I want (if any), what software and apps I want, and so on.
I've seen videos of installs from a minimal Ubuntu Server ISO done entirely in CLI.

For example, lots of people don't even want a Desktop Environment, they prefer a simple and efficient Window Manager and only the dependencies and libraries they absolutely need to have a functional system. Same goes for apps, programs, software in general.
Others would like a fresh manual install of a Desktop Environment that is not offered by Linux Mint, such as KDE/Plasma, or Budgie, or Deepin Desktop (DDE), or LXDE, LXQT, etc.
Or maybe I want to have SDDM or LXDM instead of lightdm for a Display Manager at login, and so on...
That is the beauty of GNU Linux, the possibilities are infinite, so why limit them???

Taking into account all of the above, I think that a Minimal Install of Linux Mint would be beneficial. There is one for Ubuntu, but I would like to have the Linux Mint Repos instead, for things such as Firefox for example, which Ubuntu forces onto people as a Snap, while Linux Mint still offers as a native install.
So, is it possible to create such an install and make it available for whoever wants it? Or is it asking for too much???

What do you think?
Last edited by Doruletz on Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
What do I think about Window$??? Just take a look at my AVATAR...
Dan-cer
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Bringing back the question of a Minimal Installation Option

Post by Dan-cer »

Sounds very interesting. And yes, there is the option to make a customized, individual .iso to install this customized system on a new machine. Maybe there is also a publicly available version that fulfills your wishes?

I would be interested too.
Cinnamon 20.3 on Dell Optiplex 3060 with Dual boot Win 10, Cinnamon 21.0 on Thinkpad T430 i7 dualcore, Vivaldi Browser with inbuilt email client M3
t42
Level 9
Level 9

Post by t42 »

There is a Debian network install from a minimal image allowing to install only a base system or skip it altogether, or choose to install any DE, no snap involved.
-=t42=-
Doruletz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Doruletz »

t42 wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:22 am
There is a Debian network install from a minimal image allowing to install only a base system or skip it altogether, or choose to install any DE, no snap involved.
Thanks for your reply.
I have not done any extensive research on the subject, but I'm guessing that it is possible to add the Linux Mint Repositories to Debian, or even to Ubuntu.
That is after all one of the steps that the Linux Mint creators have to take in order to create Linux Mint to start with...
Which Linux Mint, as we all know, is based on Ubuntu, which in its turn it's based on Debian...
So there is a way. Of that I am sure.
However, it will be much easier if Linux Mint would grant our wish and offer a minimal install.
But I guess the Mint Distro maintainer team is to busy to even read this post, let along give us any answer...
What do I think about Window$??? Just take a look at my AVATAR...

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”