Wallpapers per Workspace

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
kragh
Level 1
Level 1

Wallpapers per Workspace

Post by kragh »

Hi,

I find it difficult to keep track of which workspace I'm in when I switch between them quickly.
It would be really helpful if I could set wallpapers for each workspace individually.

I appreciate your consideration of my request.
Thank you!
duracell80
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Wallpapers per Workspace

Post by duracell80 »

That would be cool, in GNOME there is an extension:
https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/20 ... ntu-22-04/

Might a watermark on the wallpaper also suffice? Perhaps a desklet that could be added that would show the name of the current workspace.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

kragh wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:41 pm
I find it difficult to keep track of which workspace I'm in when I switch between them quickly.
It would be really helpful if I could set wallpapers for each workspace individually.
Which DE are you using ?
Because if MATE or xfce, you can use compiz as WM, and enable the "workspace naming" plugin which at least shows you which one your on, stays on screen for a second or two after switching viewports.
ksnip230129-1451.jpg
There is also a wallpaper plugin that may ...second thought I don't think that works, at least without some effort.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Tolayon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tolayon »

Xfce is so far the only Mint DE that allows you to set a different wallpaper for each workspace. When selecting your main wallpaper, just deselect the option "apply to all workspaces".
Once you''ve done that and applied all the different wallpapers, you can also set the mousewheel to scroll between your workspaces - fastest way of switching, as long as there ist free desktop space on each workspace :)
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

rickNS wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:14 pm
kragh wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:41 pm
Which DE are you using ?
Because if MATE or xfce, you can use compiz as WM, and enable the "workspace naming" plugin which at least shows you which one your on, stays on screen for a second or two after switching viewports.
ksnip230129-1451.jpg

There is also a wallpaper plugin that may ...second thought I don't think that works, at least without some effort.
Cinnamon actually does this as well. Showing an OSD with the workspace name when you first switch.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”