Skip gfxgrub - there are other ways to make it nice

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Husse

Skip gfxgrub - there are other ways to make it nice

Post by Husse »

In april of 2007 when I had not realized the power of grub :) this solution for a nice grub was published
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... lit=dasfox
And it was really nice. As the gfxgrub gives a lot of problems this may be better (a bit late I know :))
Fred

Re: Skip gfxgrub - there are other ways to make it nice

Post by Fred »

Husse,

Hopefully, we all will keep learning. I look at it like this. If a day goes by that I haven't learned at least one thing about something, that day has been wasted and lost to me forever. I know that when I quit learning, it will be time to put me in the ground.

Fred
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Personally, I like the gfxboot, when ever I test a new distro, it is one of the first things I add. But it might save some space to remove it and just add an image. Maybe someone could write an installer for gfxboot, and add it to the repos, and then we can use the image for grub, and if someone (like me) wants the gfxboot they can just install it, or if they know what they are doing, can just go ahead and install it anyway.
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ McLovin
I do hope gfxgrub will not be default, it's a major hassle, lots of people ask for help in the forum and it turns out to be gfxgrub and how many that just skips Mint because they can't boot with it I can't even imagine
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

I thought of a way to remove the gfxboot, and still make it easy to customize the Grub screen. If gfxboot is removed from the cd, and default install, there may be enough room to add startup manager, (sum). It has a .deb, and will allow user to add an image to the Grub boot, without having to edit any files, just add it in the sum, it will also allow a user to edit the startup options, like what starts by default when you boot, (ie: Windows, Mint, Any other distro), and will make the grub much easier to work with for noobs.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”