Is Hardy Heron a bit too buggy?

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
ctsdownloads
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Is Hardy Heron a bit too buggy?

Post by ctsdownloads »

Sorry if this has been posted already, but the latest V8 moment for Ubuntu users - SATA drives and lockups?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/204996

I am claiming it to be SATA based on the consistent specs that appear to be suffering I/O problems.

DandyGirl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DandyGirl »

I thought Hardy would solve my hardware problems (particularly in the sound department), but no, I didn't even have a GUI to continue my installation or look at the Live CD, just a command line/terminal interface. I've read that Linux can support older computers, but this is just... wrong.

BAD
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BAD »

By the time Ubuntu fixes all the bugs the LTS will run out.
Now I see why Clem does not have time for the forum.
We are the LinuxMint. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

BAD wrote:By the time Ubuntu fixes all the bugs the LTS will run out.
Now I see why Clem does not have time for the forum.
Exactly :) :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Here is what Ubuntu Hardy user's have to look forward to when they shut down or restart.

This is the screenfull of errors and it does occur in the final release.

Network Manager: <WARN> nm_signal_handler(): Caught signal 15. shutting down

Network Manager: <info> caught termination signal

Network Manager: <debug> [1209069304,808145] nm_print__open socks(): Open sockets
List:

Network Manager: <debug> [1209069304,808366] nm_print_open_socks(): Open sockets
List Done.

Network Manager: <info> Deactvativing device eth0

Network Manager: <WARN> nm_hal_deinit(): libhal shutdown failed connection is
Closed

Network Manager: <WARN> nm_dbus_init(): nm_dbus_init() could not get the system
bus. Make sure the messagebus daemon is running!

Network Manager: <WARN> nm_dbus_signal_device_status_change: asserion `cb_data->data->d
bus_connect xxxx failed

This bug was not fixed and is present in the final release. I have seen this on three different machines. There is no fix once it occurs and this screen full of errors is there every single time the pc is shut down or restarted. One of the Ubuntu developer's said that the bug was just cosmetic! Would you want to see this on your screen? Is this how an enterprise system should be? Would you consider an operating system that has these kinds of bugs for your corporate desktops? What would the reviewers say if Microsoft released a product with this bug?

It is unbelievable that Dell would put this on their hardware. I hope Clem can overcome the latest batch of bugs presented by the Ubuntu Developer's.

GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

for what it is worth, I will most likely stay a long time with Daryna. She will keep my bed warm on a cold winter night, so to speak.

:D
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!

aerofl0at

Post by aerofl0at »

exploder wrote:Here is what Ubuntu Hardy user's have to look forward to when they shut down or restart.

This is the screenfull of errors and it does occur in the final release.

Network Manager: <WARN> nm_signal_handler(): Caught signal 15. shutting down

Network Manager: <info> caught termination signal

Network Manager: <debug> [1209069304,808145] nm_print__open socks(): Open sockets
List:

Network Manager: <debug> [1209069304,808366] nm_print_open_socks(): Open sockets
List Done.

Network Manager: <info> Deactvativing device eth0

Network Manager: <WARN> nm_hal_deinit(): libhal shutdown failed connection is
Closed

Network Manager: <WARN> nm_dbus_init(): nm_dbus_init() could not get the system
bus. Make sure the messagebus daemon is running!

Network Manager: <WARN> nm_dbus_signal_device_status_change: asserion `cb_data->data->d
bus_connect xxxx failed

This bug was not fixed and is present in the final release. I have seen this on three different machines. There is no fix once it occurs and this screen full of errors is there every single time the pc is shut down or restarted. One of the Ubuntu developer's said that the bug was just cosmetic! Would you want to see this on your screen? Is this how an enterprise system should be? Would you consider an operating system that has these kinds of bugs for your corporate desktops? What would the reviewers say if Microsoft released a product with this bug?

It is unbelievable that Dell would put this on their hardware. I hope Clem can overcome the latest batch of bugs presented by the Ubuntu Developer's.
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEEEMMMM WHEN I TRY TO RESTART OR SHUTDOWN
CAN ANYBODY HELP ME?¿?

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

The "Recovery mode without password" thing has been there all the time
If someone has physical access to your computer you have NO security unless you encrypt the entire disk
I'll copy all the information from all and any device in notime (well the time it takes to copy of course)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Husse wrote:If someone has physical access to your computer you have NO security unless you encrypt the entire disk
I'll copy all the information from all and any device in notime (well the time it takes to copy of course)
Let me mention just a comment from a website:
"There is a security problem, but to acknowledge this you have to use real brains.

Debian is known for having a default configuration that makes you type in the root password before going into single-user mode. That was valid (I guess) for Woody, Sarge, Etch."
"Not entirely. If you're alone in a garage, you can even steal the whole PC! On the contrary, if you're in a business environment where your colleague is just missing for 5 minutes, you can do a lot of harm if there is no password for the single-user level, but you can't do very much if there is such a password, and if the system has the user account locked (screensaver with password), the booting from USB and CD/DVD disabled, and no floppy.

You need more brains to understand that there are several degrees of physical access to the machine."
Sorry if certain sentences are a little "aggressive"... :wink:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

linuxviolin,

I have to stand up for Husse on this one. If I have access to your computer, I don't care which distro you use, I can cause an abort on boot and drop to a root shell. There are at least half a dozen simple ways to do this. They all don't work on every distro but at least one will work on every distro I have ever tried them on.

If you are working in an environment that is subject to this kind of silliness then remove the cd and floppy drives. Disable the usb ports, E-SATA ports, Firewire ports, and any card readers that might be attached, and set a Grub password.

This will require an intruder to open the case to get to anything. It will at least buy you an extra 5 minutes. :-)

And no. I am not going to turn this forum into a how-to-hack-into-a-computer class. So don't ask. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

We are talking here about single-user mode.

Fred, yes we can do damage on a computer but without a root password it's really very easy! It's a bit like if I close the door of my house but leaves the window open... :roll:
Fred wrote:If you are working in an environment that is subject to this kind of silliness then remove the cd and floppy drives. Disable the usb ports, E-SATA ports, Firewire ports, and any card readers that might be attached, and set a Grub password.

This will require an intruder to open the case to get to anything. It will at least buy you an extra 5 minutes.
this is roughly what I said :D

I maintain that going into single-user mode without root password is an error...

Fred wrote:And no. I am not going to turn this forum into a how-to-hack-into-a-computer class. So don't ask. :-)
Fortunately! :lol:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

linuxviolin,

If I came across as a bit harsh, I didn't mean to. It's just that there are so many simple ways of gaining access to a computer when you have physical access that have been around for years. I have a hard time getting excited about one more hole in the boat so-to-speak. :-)

I guess I am a little bit insulted when I read about some special locking software, or biometric gizmo that purports to lock my laptop and make it safe from intruders. And for the bargain price of only an arm and a leg! lol

Enjoy life, it's too short to do otherwise. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

xvedejas
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xvedejas »

I think we know the answer to the question posed by this thread now - no. It's not too buggy for mint to use its innovations, and we have the Elyssa Beta to prove it.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”