Add an option to auto-update apps installed with MintInstall

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Husse

Re: Add an option to auto-update apps installed with MintInstall

Post by Husse »

You have misunderstood something
mintUpdate does not remove repositories
mintInstall sometimes uses "foreign" repositories when installing and then removes them. Leaving them in sorces.list could cause severe problems
Unfortunately the result is that some apps are hard to update. mintInstall is a separate application and if my memory serves me right clem intends to work on it when Elyssa is ready
Ferdil (forgot to login)

Post by Ferdil (forgot to login) »

Husse wrote:You have misunderstood something
mintUpdate does not remove repositories
mintInstall sometimes uses "foreign" repositories when installing and then removes them. Leaving them in sorces.list could cause severe problems
Unfortunately the result is that some apps are hard to update. mintInstall is a separate application and if my memory serves me right clem intends to work on it when Elyssa is ready
Yeah, that's what I wanted to say. if MintInstall uses some extra repositories, then it removes them and the apps coming from those repositories will not be updated. I think that .mint files should add repositories permanently and remove them when you uninstall the application.

Sorry for my previous post, it was very badly written. And excuse me if sometimes I write something incomprehensible, but, as I wrote in my signature, English is not my native language.
Husse

Post by Husse »

English is not my native language.
Neither is it mine :)
I think your english is quite good
The reason the repos are removed after the install is that they can cause problems - if you temporarily use a debian repo and let it "stay" you could get problems

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”