Suggestion: Change Menu Name

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
xvedejas

Re: Suggestion: Change Menu Name

Post by xvedejas »

It's very easy to change yourself, but it might be better to change it to something more self explanatory, like "Menu".
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

If you right-click the icon and choose preferences, you might find the options for which you are looking. Have fun!
xxxmerlin

Post by xxxmerlin »

solarwind wrote:I know how to change it -.- but I'm just suggesting it would be "Linux Mint" by default.
Good idea, I would like it too.
EchoLynx

Post by EchoLynx »

It already has the Linux Mint Logo, so I think that "Linux Mint" would be a bit redundant. And this makes it easy for someone to identify, at a glance, what version one is running. (Instead of like in Windows where you have no clue whether or not your running SP3 or the original install.)

EDIT- 50th Post, LEVEL 2!
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

I like the menu name the way it is :)
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

Who suggested "Start", ohh no one. good!
...Whatever you change it to, keep it short. If for example the next release uses FURIOUS FRANCHESCA (or some long name), I would have not space for my apps bar and system tray
*Mint* would work for me.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

I just woke up, and being in the lovely clearheaded grumpy state of mind I usually am,

There's accommodating to the lowest denominator, and then there's just ridiculous.
The codename on the MintMenu gives Linux Mint a nice touch and elegance [dare I say personality] that most other distro's do not have.

To suggest that someone can not figure out where the Menu because the name changes with every release is...well I've been rude enough already.
EchoLynx

Post by EchoLynx »

I am going to have to agree, it helps more than it hurts. Maybe the change would be required if, say, we decided to move the default bar to the top of the screen instead of the bottom. Then the ignorant windows user would be thrown off and be looking for a menu in the bottom. Maybe then... but other than that I think it should stay.

-Ian
knuckles

Post by knuckles »

For me, i like to click on the name of the Distrio. But for people they are new on Linux a more clear name would be usefull.
But from the other side, there are not so many places on the Desktop to click, so it is easy to find the menu.

For a default config, it will be more clear, to name it "menu" or so, after people like me can change everytime the Name back to the name of the distro.
Tithis

Post by Tithis »

I've always changed the name to 'Menu'. Partly for any family members who are going to use my laptop and partly because I feel it makes more sense then the name of the edition.

I think it would be more friendly to new users, but I personally don't care if its changed.
m0deth

Post by m0deth »

Years later, ergonomics is still lost on most Linux diehards. Nobody, I mean Nobody needs to see what version of desktop they are running as the name of the MAIN system menu! Seriously....that info is available in any number of redundant apps included in damn near all distros. It needs to be "Menu", "Begin", "Apps", "Programs", or yes even "Start"(although a bad choice, not as bad as the frickin 'codename' for the codebase). I thought the goal here was to make Mint even more user friendly than ubuntu...which it is doing nicely so far. But some suggestions I see here on something that should be as plain as the nose on your face just make me facepalm at the ignorant arrogance still displayed by some.

I say this because I have done my fair share of trying to educate people about linux and it usefulness, then get stymied by dumb stuff that should have been taken care of long ago, and moved on to actually innovate.....ya know that **** that happens when you don't argue endlessly about stylistic choices that have no basis in every day reality.

Talk about 2 steps forward and 3 back, M$ has no monopoly on this it seems.
EchoLynx

Post by EchoLynx »

Well, the LM6 release candidate has "Menu" instead of "Felicia", so I think the decision has been made.

-Ian

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”