Regenerate LM LTS ISOs with LTS Hardware Enablement Stack

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
clfarron4

Regenerate LM LTS ISOs with LTS Hardware Enablement Stack

Post by clfarron4 »

I'm not sure whether this has been discussed before, but here goes.

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS have regenerated ISO images 12.04.2 and 12.04.3 which include so-called "LTS Hardware Enablement Stacks", which include an updated kernel and X stack backported from a later release. In 12.04.2, it is the 3.5 kernel and X stack from 12.10 and in 12.04.3, the 3.8 kernel and X stack from 13.04.

Would the Mint team consider doing the same starting with Linux Mint 17? (EDIT: for replaced with starting with)

I understand the large amount of work required just to get out one release (on top of all the development that goes on for other projects), but I believe it would be a good idea for those wishing to run an LTS on newer (I mean freshly released, or close) hardware.
Last edited by clfarron4 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cryogenic88

Re: Regenerate LM LTS ISOs with LTS Hardware Enablement Stac

Post by cryogenic88 »

Well you can get the same effect by installing the appropriate Level 5 packages. Linux Mint by default is just more conservative than that.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

As an alternative, you can wait for LM 17 and run LM 15 (and LM 16 when released) in the mean time, do the updates by hand with little or no support, or install LMDE which has many of the same kernel updates as 12.04.3.

There are always trade-offs.
BRKsays
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BRKsays »

Actually I support these point releases. Sometimes when you install an LTS one year or more down the road, there are a bunch of updates to be installed. For a new user it's a lot of unnecessary headache. Point releases solve the problem. I believe there was discussion about these point releases around LM 13 Maya release. But as far as I know no official mention of point release by Clem and his team has been provided.
Last edited by BRKsays on Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dell Inspiron N5050
Intel Core i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20 GHz
6GB DDR3 RAM with Intel HD 3000 Graphics
Linux Mint 17.3 "Rosa" Cinnamon 64-bit
Linux Kernel 3.19.0-32-generic
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Given that the development team will probably spend remainder of this year on all of Linux Mint 16's releases, there wouldn't be time soon. Then considering that Linux Mint 16 is the first ISO which the Linux Mint developers have built from the ground up, instead of taking the Ubuntu ISO as a starting base, which is a shift that will enable Linux Mint to do non-LTS releases in the future in a different way. That's a needed shift as Ubuntu's non-LTS releases have had their support period halved to just 9 months, which makes the Ubuntu non-LTS releases highly undesirable. Clem has committed to continuing with a 6 month release cycle for Linux Mint. So, with in April/May the next LTS release arriving, and a lot of ground work to be done for that and future non-LTS releases, I don't think there will be time to update the current LTS release--also given the next LTS release is so close it might be a bit pointless (my opinion). But perhaps the development team might squeeze it in :)
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

Something which I maybe didn't make clear in my original post: I am not asking for this to be done with LM13, as the focus will now be on LM17 (as @xenopeek rightly points out). I am asking whether this would be considered with LM17 LTS.
BRKsays
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BRKsays »

I too was merely stating the importance of a point release. I promote mint in my friend circle and most of them are totally ignorant about mint or Linux for that matter. I've installed mint on computers of friends who show interest. As a general unofficial rule, I go with the LTS for them. So imagine the number of updates after installing them. It becomes all the more painful when the internet connection is slow. So I agree with [url=http://forum.linuxmint.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=62313]@xenopeek[/url] that a point release so close to mint 17 will be pointless. Maybe irrelevant or related, Clem in a [url=http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2477]Mint blog post[/url] said that he is considering sticking with LTS bases but still releasing every six months; i.e. they are thinking of changing base every 2 years. Nothing is decided yet.
Dell Inspiron N5050
Intel Core i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20 GHz
6GB DDR3 RAM with Intel HD 3000 Graphics
Linux Mint 17.3 "Rosa" Cinnamon 64-bit
Linux Kernel 3.19.0-32-generic

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”