Cleaning utility

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Cleaning utility

Post by exploder »

A system cleaning utility is planned for Intrepid but after doing some checking I have found that nothing has been done with it. I think that LinuxMint could be the first distribution with a clean up feature. We now have the best application for installing packages, (mintInstall 5.1) Why not make a tool for system cleanup the best there is too!
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Is the tool found in KDE similar to what you folks are talking about here?

In Mepis 7: KMenu > Settings > Security & Privacy > Privacy.

I don't know how to insert a screenshot, but it seems to have all or most of the things you're talking about.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

MALsPa , I remember the tool in Mepis you are talking about but what we are talking about is a more thorough tool that would clean up everything. Fred has done most of the work but the script needs a gui frontend.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Oh. Well, I tried to submit a screenshot but apparently it didn't work. Just for the record, here's what's in the KDE tool (and I think I have the same thing in the Debian Etch KDE version):

The tool clears:

Quick Start Menu ("Clears the entries from the list of recently started applications.")
Recent Documents ("Clears the list of recently used documents from the KDE applications menu.")
Run Command History ("Clears the history of commands run through the Run Command tool on the desktop.")
Saved Clipboard Contents ("Clears the clipboard contents stored by Klipper.")
Thumbnail Cache ("Clears all cached thumbnails.")
Cookies ("Clears all stored cookies set by websites.")
Favorite Icons ("Clears the FavIcons cached from visited websites.")
Form Completion Entries ("Clears values which are entered into forms on websites.")
Web Cache ("Clears the temporary cache of websites visited.")
Web History ("Clears the history of visited websites.")

Yes, I see that this is not everything that you are trying to accomplish here. But even something like this would be nice for Mint.
Katzedecimal
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Katzedecimal »

I like the way you think, Exploder :lol:

I like EchoLynx's basic idea for a GUI; the wizard style is a good introduction for newbies and familiar. I'd like to see the MintFresh GUI not just perform the tasks for the newbie, but also educate the newbie about what it's doing and why, perhaps with a click-down text box or mouse-over (so that the power users don't get fed up :mrgreen: ) That way, the newbie learns and isn't back to square one if they move on to another distribution.

That's just my own motivations talking; others may not feel the same way. I see that MintFresh is aiming to tackle a lot of tasks and I think there's an opportunity there for education, maybe in the help files for it? Mint is already very beginner-friendly and I think it has a lot of potential for smoothing the Linux learning curve.

Just my incoherant $0.02 (fighting a flu, sorry :) )
"Dance without sleeping, I'll dance without fear
Dance without senses, no message I hear
Dance without feeling, I'll dance 'til I'm numb
Dance 'til I think I can overcome" -- Melissa Etheridge
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I might look into making something after XFCE CE Final is released.
Only thing I know anything about is glade and python.
It'll probably have a similar layout as mintDesktop.(tabs across the top)
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

Take a look at the installer in sidux. I think it is well laid out. The tabbed screens leave plenty of space for explanations and the user can page back and forth until they feel comfortable with their choices before actually running the routines.

I would probably do it in Perl but thats just because I know it best and I don't trust/like Python. Don't let me hold you back though. I just don't have the time to do anything with it right now.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi there,

I like the idea a lot. I've got a lot of things planned for mint 6 so I don't know if this will make it for this release but we'll follow up on that and we'll come with a nice mintTool and a nice GUI. I can implement all or part of this, Merlwiz can get involved as well or we can give a hand to Fred and see how we can help him finish it. Either way it'll get done soon or later. I'm putting it into Felicia's roadmap and time will tell if it comes in Mint 6 or Mint 7.

Clem.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

A tool like this would likely appeal to most people, especially people that are new to Linux. Everyone needs to do system maintenance and it could be made easy and effortless.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

Yes it would!!!! :D
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

A beginning?
No python code has been started yet so the screen shots are in glade-3:(Click image to Enlarge)
Fred's script is in dialog and I never used dialog, so it might take longer to add it.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

not sure what it all means or if it is , at this stage, just schema stuff, but it looks great! Nice job!!!! :D :D :D :D
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

merlwiz79, I like what you are doing! What you have in the screen shots looks great! That is exactly the kind of look and feel discussed in this thread and I like how you are putting in explanations for the options, that will help people to understand the process behind the GUI. I admire your ability to create tools like this and appreciate your efforts very much.
Katzedecimal
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Katzedecimal »

Merlwiz79, yes! That's exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of. Something with clear explanations of the commands and what they do. But do you think it will annoy the power users? - don't want too many of them going 'yeah yeah yeah duh!' :lol: I don't think this will, I think this is quiet enough not to annoy the power users but will assist us n00bs in becoming power users :mrgreen:

'MintCleaner?' Not 'MintFresh?' *sniffle* Oh well, much-more-important suggestion taken, I happy :mrgreen: :lol:
"Dance without sleeping, I'll dance without fear
Dance without senses, no message I hear
Dance without feeling, I'll dance 'til I'm numb
Dance 'til I think I can overcome" -- Melissa Etheridge
EchoLynx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by EchoLynx »

Yay, my feedback is being used!!! :) :D
Saturday August 9th, 2008: Acquired Technician-class Amateur Radio License. Assigned call KB3ROH.
February (?) 2010: Acquired General-class Amateur Radio License.
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

I would like to see such a utility. I am tired of doing cleanup from the command line because I cannot remember all of the commands and have to look them up each time I decide to do a cleanup. I probably do not do as many cleanups as I should.

This thread reminded me of my past. There was a utility in Unix called Sweep that I ran onto in 1982 I think. It was also rewritten for CPM. I just looked up Sweep with Synaptic and sure enough I think it has found its way to Ubuntu only now it is called KleanSweep. It seems to be identical. It is a risky thing to use but maybe it could be modified to make it a little safer. I used to use it a lot to get rid of backup and empty files. I even used to give files extensions that would identify them to be eliminated by Sweep later on.

Has anyone ever used the new version?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Ubuntu has included the "System Cleaner" in Intrepid. It doesn't seem to do all that much except for wanting to remove .deb packages that are not in the repo's. I can take away the checks so that the utility leaves my stuff alone but it does not seem to clean anything to me...We could easily do better in Mint 6 with a Mint tool.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

This has taken a back seat to trying to get grub-gfxboot to support Wubi installs.
I have also been working on a custom compile of Wubi for Linux Mint.
So far I have hit a few walls and I am still trying to get it working.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

"Cleanup" is a very broad term. It would be nice to see what specific functions people would like to have included in a utility like this. Things like remove old kernels, empty trash folders, remove program generated backup files, etc.

merlwiz79 and EchoLynx, I like your ideas on the tabbed layout of the GUI.

In another week or two, if all goes well, I should have more time to work with this. Now is the time to get your ideas and suggestions out there. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

I greatly appreciate your help Fred, et. al. on this project! Neophytes to linux like me DO Appreciate this work very much! :D
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”