Pale Moon browser

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
kanichiro
Level 2
Level 2

Pale Moon browser

Post by kanichiro » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:52 pm

Would you please consider adding the Linux browser "Pale Moon," in the next Linux Mint release? If not would you at least add it as a package to download and install?

I'm a disaster trying to install things using the Terminal, and I'd like to use Pale Moon in place of FireFox as my browser.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Pale Moon browser

Post by xenopeek » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:57 pm

From the website, "Pale Moon is an Open Source, Firefox-based web browser for Microsoft Windows". I can imagine it's hard to set up on Linux, but that will be your struggle--Linux Mint isn't going to include Windows software.

kanichiro
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kanichiro » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:04 pm

xenopeek wrote:From the website, "Pale Moon is an Open Source, Firefox-based web browser for Microsoft Windows". I can imagine it's hard to set up on Linux, but that will be your struggle--Linux Mint isn't going to include Windows software.

Your statement is not quite accurate:

Pale Moon for Linux

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm4linux

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:42 pm

I read up on this the other day, seems a few people are not happy with the coming changes to firefox or so I gather, I'll wait and see what they do but if it ends up looking like chrome I'll be joining you on the Pale Moon seeing as it's compatible with the FF addons and themes . . . . . . :|

kanichiro
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kanichiro » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:49 pm

daveinuk wrote:I read up on this the other day, seems a few people are not happy with the coming changes to firefox or so I gather, I'll wait and see what they do but if it ends up looking like chrome I'll be joining you on the Pale Moon seeing as it's compatible with the FF addons and themes . . . . . . :|
Pale Moon (for LINUX!) can be run directly from the "extracted" directory without installing it, but there are short comings doing that.

I tried installing it, but was unable to create a folder in the /OPT directory. Someone who knows what they're doing, which is not me, would probably not have a problem installing Pale Moon (for LINUX!)

Pale Moon for Linux

Previous1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Previous1 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:53 pm

For now you can use Firefox 24 ESR, which is the same as PM but less fancy - and not modified by a third party.

Unfortunately Ubuntu, and by consequence Mint, doesn't want to include ESR versions (even if they're, judging by the number of complaints on FF 25+, far more stable). You can try to install Debian's version (havent tested this on buntu):

http://mozilla.debian.net/
Tutorials | cynicaltux
Arch Linux i3wm, 64bit

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:55 am

There are plenty of alternative browsers available on Linux Mint. And as shared, you can use Firefox 24 ESR if you want to use the old interface of Firefox. Perhaps not easily available for Ubuntu based distros, but the rebranded Iceweasel 24 ESR is (it's just Firefox, with a different name). You can use this PPA to install iceweasel: https://launchpad.net/~dirk-computer42/ ... 2-backport. Just open Software Sources from your menu, go to PPA, click Add, and enter this: ppa:dirk-computer42/c42-backport

As for "Pale Moon" for Linux; Google didn't find it when searching for Pale Moon, the official Pale Moon website doesn't know about it, the Wikipedia entry for Pale Moon doesn't know about it... Next time, please include a link to a project you want to suggest--to avoid confusions :wink:

In any case, you should be petitioning the Pale Moon for Linux developers and maintainers. It's them that could package the software for Debian or Ubuntu repositories. Linux Mint gets most of its software from those repositories, so that is the place to get it added. Or they could set up a PPA on Launchpad. In fact, any of these things you could do :) I'm sure the Pale Moon for Linux developers can use some help.

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:33 am

kanichiro wrote:
daveinuk wrote:I read up on this the other day, seems a few people are not happy with the coming changes to firefox or so I gather, I'll wait and see what they do but if it ends up looking like chrome I'll be joining you on the Pale Moon seeing as it's compatible with the FF addons and themes . . . . . . :|
Pale Moon (for LINUX!) can be run directly from the "extracted" directory without installing it, but there are short comings doing that.

I tried installing it, but was unable to create a folder in the /OPT directory. Someone who knows what they're doing, which is not me, would probably not have a problem installing Pale Moon (for LINUX!)

Pale Moon for Linux

You can simply execute Palemoon from its extracted directory.
No need to install as you already knew.

It is one click on directory, scroll to 'palemoon folder', right click, execute...

If you find these 'steps; are too many, you can create a launcher to click an icon , just like clicking firefox icon, put the icon on desktop or panel, one click to open.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:06 am

Pale Moon is for those who don't like the way Firefox is going .. ..
- the Windows version of Pale Moon - works under either Wine or Cx.

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibili ... reenshot=1
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

kanichiro
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kanichiro » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:06 am

xenopeek wrote:There are plenty of alternative browsers available on Linux Mint. And as shared, you can use Firefox 24 ESR if you want to use the old interface of Firefox. Perhaps not easily available for Ubuntu based distros, but the rebranded Iceweasel 24 ESR is (it's just Firefox, with a different name). You can use this PPA to install iceweasel: https://launchpad.net/~dirk-computer42/ ... 2-backport. Just open Software Sources from your menu, go to PPA, click Add, and enter this: ppa:dirk-computer42/c42-backport

As for "Pale Moon" for Linux; Google didn't find it when searching for Pale Moon, the official Pale Moon website doesn't know about it, the Wikipedia entry for Pale Moon doesn't know about it... Next time, please include a link to a project you want to suggest--to avoid confusions :wink:

In any case, you should be petitioning the Pale Moon for Linux developers and maintainers. It's them that could package the software for Debian or Ubuntu repositories. Linux Mint gets most of its software from those repositories, so that is the place to get it added. Or they could set up a PPA on Launchpad. In fact, any of these things you could do :) I'm sure the Pale Moon for Linux developers can use some help.

The Pale Moon website has a link to the Linux version in the FAQ section. I posted this link three times so far. I also highlighted it in BOLD RED text.

Here is the link!

Pale Moon for Linux

Last edited by kanichiro on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

kanichiro
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kanichiro » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:16 am

You're right, Pale Moon certainly doesn't seem to advertise a Linux version.

However, From the Pale Moon FAQ Page:
http://www.palemoon.org/faq.shtml#Will_ ... ux_version

Will there be a Linux version?

There may be contributed builds for Linux, built by other developers and endorsed by the Pale Moon project.

Please see the page with Contributed Builds.

http://www.palemoon.org/faq.shtml#Will_ ... ux_version

Contributed builds of Pale Moon
The following list is a list of endorsed third party builds of Pale Moon. If the browser is not in this list, it is not an authorized redistribution/build.

PM4Linux:
Pale Moon builds for Linux by access2godzilla

http://pm4linux.sourceforge.net

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:06 am

Pale Moon for Linux
Browser based on Firefox that's optimised for performance

Installation and Uninstallation
http://sourceforge.net/p/pm4linux/wiki/ ... tallation/
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

kanichiro
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kanichiro » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:24 pm

austin.texas wrote:Pale Moon for Linux
Browser based on Firefox that's optimised for performance

Installation and Uninstallation
http://sourceforge.net/p/pm4linux/wiki/ ... tallation/
Thank you for your reply. at least you saw that a version of this browser actually exists for Linux.

I tried running the script you linked to before I started this thread. As I readily admitted in a post here, I'm a disaster at scripting in the Terminal. As I've been using Linux (Ubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, and now Linix Mint) since 2008, one would think I'd be OK using it, but I'm not.

I am not able to create a folder in the OPT directory, even though in User Settings, I am listed as "Administrator."

Under Advanced Settings > User Privileges, I have everything checked.

I am running "Pale Moon for LINUX" without actually installing it, but it is something that is much better installed as I'd have access to upgrades, etc.
Attachments
OPT-Directory-Properties.png

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:40 pm

Instead of running the command tar -xvf <palemoon_archive> -C /opt
try
sudo tar -xvf <palemoon_archive> -C /opt
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

kanichiro
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kanichiro » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:46 pm

austin.texas wrote:Instead of running the command tar -xvf <palemoon_archive> -C /opt
try
sudo tar -xvf <palemoon_archive> -C /opt
This is the name of the archive file I downloaded: palemoon-24.4.2.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2

Sorry for taking up your time, but I cannot get it to install.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:12 pm

Sorry for taking up your time, but I cannot get it to install.

It doesn't install completely, as in making menu entries, etc. After you extract it, go into the directory you extracted it into and run "palemoon" (or "palemoon-bin" (same size file as "palemoon") or(?) the whateveritwas.sh - run_mozilla.sh?). Then you make your own links and/or menu entries, etc.

Also the "copy over firefox settings" program they mention @first run is for windows only.

I gave it a try and removed it because it makes directories and files with spaces in their names. Putting delimiters in filenames is barbaric.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:40 pm

If you're looking for a Firefox replacement, you can look at Midori. It's in the repo. :wink:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

kanichiro
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kanichiro » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:21 pm

killer de bug wrote:If you're looking for a Firefox replacement, you can look at Midori. It's in the repo. :wink:
Thanks!

Just installed Midori as well as QupZilla. I have Opera installed, and use it for basically one website, but I'd rather not use it as my main browser.

FireFox has gotten very annoying for me with the recent upgrades, and I decided this week it was time to look elsewhere.

RytronII
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RytronII » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:18 am

I've just installed it. Decent browser.

Where are the config files stored?

Edit: Found them in "~/.moonchild productions". :idea:
Husse: "Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it."

SeriesOfTubes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SeriesOfTubes » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:05 pm

I think replacing Firefox is a bit more than what most people want, I would like to see it in the repositories.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”