zeitgeist should become opt-in

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Conni

zeitgeist should become opt-in

Post by Conni »

Today I stumbled over the program zeitgeist, which I got preinstalled in LMDE Mate. zeitgeist was started automatically after booting LMDE.
It is characterized quite catchy by its developer:
zeitgeist is a service which logs the users's activities and events (files opened, websites visites, conversations held with other people, etc.) and makes relevant information available to other applications.
https://launchpad.net/zeitgeist
I want to organize my computer and my activities myself, I do not want my activities to be tracked or stored at a hidden place, if I was not asked to allow that. Who knows who can misuse this data in the future? I don't see any use of this service for myself. Therefore I deinstalled it. But I am concerned, that it might be reinstalled with the next Update Pack.

I am suggesting that zeitgeist should be removed from the default installation of LMDE Mate. If there are no strong arguments - for instance functionality of the Gnome-3 based CInammon, integrity of the Ubuntu kernel -, then it should be removed from all Mint editions. People, who want to use it, are still able to install it via synaptic or the software centre. Another possibility would be, that the installer is giving the user a choice during the installation: the default setting should be "No".

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”