Forum Suggestion: "liking" individual posts

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
wheeledgoat
Level 3
Level 3

Forum Suggestion: "liking" individual posts

Post by wheeledgoat » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:16 pm

Forgive me if this "Suggestions & New Ideas" section is supposed to be for Linux, and not the Forums, but I couldn't find anywhere else to put this.

Other forums I've been on (e.g. uberent.forums.com) have a feature where you can click to 'like' individual posts. It's really great; provides simple feedback while letting someone new easily see what information is popular (and likely correct or particularly helpful). It's a feature I sorely miss when it's not available.

It's been many a year since I've modded a forum myself, donno if that feature is available with this version, but if it is, TURN IT ON, MAN! It's more awesome than you initially think.

"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems. And that's a big mistake."
-Frank Wilczek

ClutchDisc
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Forum Suggestion: "liking" individual posts

Post by ClutchDisc » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:52 pm

Image I vote for this too, if it is possible. It's a great way to give feedback when you don't have anything more to post than "good post!" Please turn the feature on if possible!
Custom build
CPU: Intel Core i5 2.70GHz quad core
RAM: 8GB DDR4
OS drive: 120GB SSD
Data drive: 2TB HDD

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:40 pm

"Liking" usually leads to fighting, sniping and hard feelings...it's too difficult to keep a lid on.

If you "like" something, just let the author of the post know openly.

It's "message board death". Trust me.

wheeledgoat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wheeledgoat » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:12 pm

sorry to hear you've had a negative experience with that! which boards are you talking about, specifically?

I don't think it's fair to extrapolate to all boards and situations, though - my experience is quite the opposite of yours (apparently).

In any case, I certainly don't think a like button = message board death! (that's a little dramatic, don't ya think?)

"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems. And that's a big mistake."
-Frank Wilczek

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:52 pm

wheeledgoat wrote:sorry to hear you've had a negative experience with that!
Not me. I don't involve myself with such drama.
Unfortunately, too many people don't have similar restraint.

wheeledgoat wrote: In any case, I certainly don't think a like button = message board death! (that's a little dramatic, don't ya think?)
I think this topic has already been brought up (and shot down) before.

This idea was already dismissed on the official Ubuntu Forums, for similar reasons to which I've stated.

palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:10 pm

wheeledgoat wrote:Other forums I've been on (e.g. uberent.forums.com) have a feature where you can click to 'like' individual posts. It's really great; provides simple feedback while letting someone new easily see what information is popular (and likely correct or particularly helpful). It's a feature I sorely miss when it's not available.
Darn. Had you waited just a little longer for this we could have called it an annual event.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 4&p=737969

wheeledgoat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wheeledgoat » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:18 pm

MartyMint wrote:Unfortunately, too many people don't have similar restraint.

This idea was already dismissed on the official Ubuntu Forums, for similar reasons to which I've stated.
That's a shame. Curious, too, because I think of this forum as more mature than some of the others that the feature works famously on without issue.

Ah, no matter. Thanks for your replies, I shall abandon hope of its implementation.

-Frank Wilczek

Distro-Don
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Distro-Don » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:06 pm

wheeledgoat wrote:
MartyMint wrote:Unfortunately, too many people don't have similar restraint.

That's a shame. Curious, too, because I think of this forum as more mature than some of the others that the feature works famously on without issue.

Ah, no matter. Thanks for your replies, I shall abandon hope of its implementation.
I think that it should be implemented but I doubt that it will be. Seems like some of the people who make decisions here are way behind the curve.
Last edited by Distro-Don on Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:01 am

Distro-Don wrote:Seems like some of the people who make decissions here are way behind the curve.
That sounds very offensive. I think the people who make decisions (notice I spell that word a little differently) are intelligent, dedicated and sacrifice much time to make this whole Mint system including the forum work well. They take a mature approach to this forum and are often very helpful and informative. Just because they may not want to make it have social tones does not put them "way behind the curve".

wheeledgoat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wheeledgoat » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:29 pm

Distro-Don wrote:I think that it should be implemented but I doubt that it will be. Seems like some of the people who make decisions here are way behind the curve.
Well I appreciate the backup, Don! :) Sorry to see you take flak for it, I happen to agree with you.

There have been many forum advancements since this forum software was released. The "like" button is just one - there are also niceties such as getting a notification when one of your posts has been quoted or replied to, a live spell check, and more. I think categorizing them as "social features" and disregarding them is a cop-out. They are what's known as progress.

Sadly, even the tech savvy are prone to laziness when it comes to adopting new technology. Heck, let's admit it - it's a pain to learn something new! Who can blame them when they're already so busy focusing on our next release of Mint.

Now that I think about it, if I have to choose between an up-to-date forum and a great release of Mint, I'll choose the latter (with a small tinge of disappointment).

-Frank Wilczek

SeriesOfTubes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SeriesOfTubes » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:49 pm

This is a good idea. Popular ideas and solutions would get more attention form the developers and it is the most straightforward way to give feedback.

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:00 pm

Dislike! (I therefore unfriend you). Too much like a social site. Besides, I never won any popularity contests before. Why should I start trying now? :cry:
"There is no gravity, the earth sucks." - Issac Newton @ 75
KDE & Cinnamon 18.1 & Win 10 - ASUS M5A99FX PRO MB, AMD FX-8370 Octo-Core CPU, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 240

nomko
Level 10
Level 10

Post by nomko » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:51 am

"Liking"??? Sounds like Facebook!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Are you Mark Zuckerberg?????
noway.jpeg
noway.jpeg (4.62 KiB) Viewed 1821 times

eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Post by eanfrid » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:19 am

Popularity never implies either quality or trustability. So I dislike "liking", too.
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Jessie 64bit - MATE
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
Safer than Dropbox

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:03 am

if taken as a "measurement" it's very subjective and not very objective.
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

capivara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by capivara » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:08 am

I only could live with a 'Like' button if there's a 'Dislike' button too.

Hans
All my computers are in Mint condition.

Level 5
Level 5
Location: Surfing a multidimensional wave of celestial intent

Post by 1.618 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:14 am

I say NO to a like button too, popular and useful threads are made 'sticky' so they are at the top of the section covering their subject, be that beginners, software,hardware etc etc, so they are easy to find. I view this forum as a resource more than a social network.

nomko
Level 10
Level 10

Post by nomko » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:16 am

PatH57 wrote:if taken as a "measurement" it's very subjective and not very objective.
It is neither an issue of subjectivity or objectivity taken as a measurement but as eanfrid said, it's about popularity taken as a measurement.

Let's say i post a question and you provide me with the correct answer, while someone else (3rd person) replies with only +1! because that 3rd person likes your answer. Let's say that there's a "Like" button at every post and here it comes: my thread, and with it your reply and that 3rd persons reply, will be read by 100 other persons and all those 100 persons push the "Like" button of the 3rd persons post. What do you get? Exaclty! A 100 persons liking a post which basically contains nothing substantional or contributional to my question and your reply. Now tell me, were does subjectivity, objectivity fit in this? The answer is short: nowhere! You only get a post which has been voted as populair due to the reason that a 100 persons liked that +1 reply of that 3rd person which basically does not benefit the whole thread. This "Facebook liking option"is nothing more than a useless popularity competition not usefull to this forum or any other forum.
eanfrid wrote: Popularity never implies either quality or trustability. So I dislike "liking", too.
I totally agree with this!

capivara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by capivara » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:19 am

1.618 wrote:I view this forum as a resource more than a social network.
So true. It's not that I'm antisocial, I just think everyone liking 'Like' buttons should be banished to /dev/null. :twisted:

Hans
All my computers are in Mint condition.

nomko
Level 10
Level 10

Post by nomko » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:24 am

1.618 wrote:popular and useful threads are made 'sticky'
Not agree with this. Popularity and usefull are not the measurements to make a thread sticky. There are a lot of threads on this forum which are very usefull for the fact that they supply correct answers and solutions from Mint users to problems and issues other Mint users suffer from. Neither of those threads were made sticky.

Also popularity is not a measurement on this forum to make threads sticky, this forum is not Facebook ;) Popularity is nice at school when you're a goodlooking and beautiful boy/girl which everybody likes. No thread here on this forum is popular in any way. If one thread gets more replies than other threads doesn't mean that the thread with the most replies is very populair. It only indicates that the subject stir up a (heated) discussion about that subject. It doesn't mean that it is populair.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”