Mint Wicd Recomendation

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
Arron
Level 3
Level 3

Mint Wicd Recomendation

Post by Arron »

I would like to request to have Wicd over the gnome network manager for the default Mint wifi manager.

I have used both a lot, and I find the wicd a lot simpler, more configurable and less wonky than the gnome network manager (many times the gnome one locked up on me or stuck waiting). As well no keyring stuff to worry about if you have automatic login with wicd, and can run scripts and many other options.

Wicd comes default with Mint XFCE, and that is where i fell in love with it.

What would it take to have Mint use Wicd by default? It gets my vote.
Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Mint Wicd Recomendation

Post by Husse »

There is something that speaks against it - I can't remember what now
But I do believe it is something we must consider
Topic moved to suggestions section
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
ssplayer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ssplayer »

Gets my vote too. I spent weeks trying to get Network Manager to work with secured wireless. Once I discovered WICD I had it up and running in about 5 minutes.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Post by msuggs »

Funny, I came to Mint some time ago because Wicd was driving me nuts in Zenwalk. I can't remember the details but I just couldn't get it to connect to my wlan at work. Gnome network manager in comparison was fairly effortless.
paul_sc1

Post by paul_sc1 »

Hmmm Interesting thread.

I also had problems with wireless and Network Manager on both my Dell 1330m's with Intel PRO/Wireless
4965. Someone suggested I try wicd and it has worked out wonderfully.

As a result of the experience, I have replaced Network Manager on most of my installs, meaning wired connects as well. wicd just seems more efficient. Besides it just works, for me, managing multiple wifi networks has been a pleasure. For whatever reason, often Network Manager would not see all the available networks in my area...namely MINE :) A nice small bonus since I switch has been the elimination of the daily log full of error messages I used get from Network Manager complaining about one thing or another or delaying a shutdown of the system.

Anyway, wicd has been good for me, perhaps there is a way to allow choice w/o being overly complicated.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Post by msuggs »

ossified65 wrote:What I would like to see in Mint is a suggested alternatives list to suggest other apps to try if one is not working for you.
Not a bad idea. I had lots of problems getting Gnome Network Manager to work in a recent project of mine and Wicd came to the rescue with flying colours :)
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee »

I think this is going to prove to be a very subjective thing, like most open source apps.

I had never even heard of wicd until I tried Elyssa Xfce CE. I had been using network manager in Fedora with Xfce and had no complaints. I tried Elyssa Xfce for the first time and in the process of getting my Atheros 5007EG to work I ditched wicd and installed network manager. On a subsequent install I noticed that I had simply overlooked a single setting in wicd and promptly fell in love with the app. I too put my vote in for wicd over networkmanager...but...

I think they should probably stick with network manager in the main edition. It is, first off, a default Gnome app. Second, more people are going to be used to using it. For those new folks coming from Windows they will get help easier with it. Besides, it is not a bad app. It is just that wicd is lighter and seems to do the job better. There is nothing stopping those in the know to swap NWM out for wicd.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Post by msuggs »

FedoraRefugee wrote:I think they should probably stick with network manager in the main edition. It is, first off, a default Gnome app. Second, more people are going to be used to using it. For those new folks coming from Windows they will get help easier with it. Besides, it is not a bad app. It is just that wicd is lighter and seems to do the job better. There is nothing stopping those in the know to swap NWM out for wicd.
A nice summary of reality :)
Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

The new Network Manager in Felicia is a really good app - look in the release notes
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Post by msuggs »

Husse wrote:The new Network Manager in Felicia is a really good app - look in the release notes
Yes, I read that. It's working really well on my test install :)
hotweiss
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hotweiss »

Yes, Network Manager is fine now. With Elyssa I had the bug that someone mentioned earlier - I couldn't see my network until I scanned a few times.
aubreyz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aubreyz »

No, you do not need to remove NM manually - Synaptic will do that automatically for you.

Just click Menu > Package Manager and do a quick search for "wicd" and it will show up. When you pick it and click the Apply button, it will automatically ask your permission to remove NM (make sure you have the wired connection working) and then install wicd.

As a fan of standard Ubuntu user, I am testing Linux Mint 8 on a brand new Gateway NV54 notebook computer - bought on Boxing Day this year. Everything works fine but the wireless connection. I should say it worked in the beginning. But then I plugged in the network cable and now only the wired network is enabled and the wireless network option is grey out. So I am now forced to switch from NM to wicd :-(

So I believe that the Linux Mint team really needs to work on this issue so that anyone switching from Windows to LM will not have this wireless problem at all.

I suggest that you make wicd as the default one and only when they have problems with wicd, tell them how to switch to NM. I think that is the only way to keep the name Linux Mint what it is.

BTW, I installed Ubuntu on two notebooks and LM on one notebook - each time I had problem with NM. So this is not a small issue. Why keeping Gnome Network Manager
Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

Why keeping Gnome Network Manager
As long as wicd does not handle mobile broadband but NM does there is no real choice
When wicd gets support for 3g modems I think the switch is done if nothing else changes
gemini1970
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gemini1970 »

Well maybe a user-driver choice could be out in place, after all - not all intend to use mobile broadband, and for some migrating across from a commercial OS the idea of downloading a new network manager may either be daunting or turn them around from Linux altogether. Even the inclusion of context-sensitive help with a wireless connection on the distro detailing how simple it actually IS to download Wicd - which incidentally is the ONLY way i have found to get a stable wireless connection with my Atheros based card.
From my experience, "download and install the network manager Wicd" can sound too much like rebuilding the OS to some Windows users (not all), Whereas a very simple friendly "How to" in the same approachable manner as the rest of this brilliant distribution that is Mint, would help nurse more converts to the fold
Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

If you got madwifi working might I ask you to tell the chap in this topic what to do?
hoshi411
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hoshi411 »

The reason I want to install wcid is because "network manager" does not play well with avant window navigator and I want to get rid of the gnome panel.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”