Major Ideas -> Linux OS [UI]

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
Lemon3
Level 1
Level 1

Major Ideas -> Linux OS [UI]

Post by Lemon3 »

Hello,

This feedback is mostly regarding UI/Apps and may help give you an idea:
Think of the current OS's you have Windows 7/8 And OS X 10.9,

Windows 7: -> Comes with Windows media player -> But most users always download,install and use VLC Player.
OS X: -> Comes With Quick Time player -> Most download,install and use VLC player.

Same with other apps:

MAJOR:
*, Also, add more apps that work really good.
As in, on my OSX there's the default text editor textedit, but its a piece of crap. Why?: Think of notepad++, you can just write in stuff,a new page write copy paste,etc and exit (ITS ALL SAVED, AND its all in the app,etc).

* Add default stable apps like a Notes app for example. Its about creating a good UI and user experience also of course.

Think of Windows 7 even ,it comes with IE but its a piece of crap. Most people downloaded Firefox (while now its GOOGLE chrome), my personal opinion is google chrome is a evil piece of crap.

*Its not either about just adding a new skin and having the default core app as this may make it buggy,etc. so its about creating fresh".

Think of other apps, such as paint that comes with windows. paint.net is a much better app.

- writing apps also.
- and for example, what I'm trying to say is think of Windows XP/7 & OX S their default programs, and what do people always replace those programs with?. e.g: IE -> Firefox ,etc. -Mac: Textedit -> Sublime Text , Mail to Airmail, Quicktime -> VLC.

etc..
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Major Ideas -> Linux OS [UI]

Post by DrHu »

I don't think we can say that a windows OS or an Apple OS X user would always replace the manufacturer's default applications with another choice..
--for example, I don't see either group deciding to use OpenOffice/LibreOffice instead of whatever Ms Office suite is being bundled (usually via some promo deal for a notebook or other machine type..
  • Even if in many/most cases either of these office suites are just as effective and perhaps even better in that PDF support doesn't cost any extra, via cups-pdf or the ability of writer to edit a PDF file..
Most people are satisfied with whatever is installed, unless they tend to troll shareware or other sites for additional choices
--and there are some reasonable win OS apps for example
  • CCleaner
  • Glary utils
  • Avast
    --etc..
--and naturally most will use Outlook, or Outlook-Live as their email program..
Lemon3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lemon3 »

DrHu wrote:I don't think we can say that a windows OS or an Apple OS X user would always replace the manufacturer's default applications with another choice..
--for example, I don't see either group deciding to use OpenOffice/LibreOffice instead of whatever Ms Office suite is being bundled (usually via some promo deal for a notebook or other machine type..
  • Even if in many/most cases either of these office suites are just as effective and perhaps even better in that PDF support doesn't cost any extra, via cups-pdf or the ability of writer to edit a PDF file..
Most people are satisfied with whatever is installed, unless they tend to troll shareware or other sites for additional choices
--and there are some reasonable win OS apps for example
  • CCleaner
  • Glary utils
  • Avast
    --etc..
--and naturally most will use Outlook, or Outlook-Live as their email program..
Hi,
Thanlks for the reply.

BUT PLEASE NO NO NO
, no pre installed apps like Avatst,etc. Please no. Pre-Installd programs are awful.

And you know, first of all Avatst is like spyware. Second of all, I bought a bran new Samsung S3 android, and it came with LOADS and LOADS of shite.Pre installed apps/programs are like bloat ware, it sucks. Its completely rubbish, I'm installing Linux now on it and am so happy.

But my point was, to look at what people liked and don't like in default apps.
And to work on that.

You know like the default text editor for example.

Example;
text Editor:
- have tabs on it, like in notepad++
- each tab automatically saves. it does NOT ask you to save when you quit. you just quit and that's it. the next time you open it its all still there.

so more of a instant and more of a flow. less of this save as, ARE you sure you want to shutdown? are you really sure?. are you sure you want to save?.

enough of all that. there needs to be more of a flow. check out notepad++ for example, or sublime text 2 on the mac. when you quit the program it automatically saves it, no waiting, no confirmations,nothing next time you open the program up its all there for you. and of course you still have the options to go to file save as,etc of course. but yeah there's more of a flow and everything.

Other:
I'm using OS X on my macbook pro, but to be honest its 50% rubbish. If you go to bed with headphones and want to listen to a song for example, you can't close the lid because if you do mac shuts off , AND GUESS WHAT?after getting itunes up and playing the song then pressing the button to hide the light from the screen and then at last your listing to a song in peace in the black and dark after about a minute you have these light flashing out of the mac, like come on bahahha god dam.
Lemon3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lemon3 »

And the android is a piece of crap really.

- there's so much rubbish in it. also, lets say for example you hear a helicopter in the air and you reach to get your phone to take a video of it. if your using Android then I can assure you you will be waiting 15 seconds before you actually get he video running/recording.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”