Windows domain logon

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
qbicdesign
Level 3
Level 3

Windows domain logon

Post by qbicdesign » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:13 am

ok, so i managed to get my Mint install to become a member of a domain, using Likewise Open, but it wasn't easy and its still clunky. here's my wishlist:
  1. Likewise Open installed by default
  2. NTP protocol installed by default (pc can't join a windows domain unless time can be synced with domain controller)
  3. If my Mint PC is a domain member show a domain box on login splash screen - average Joe users can't be expected to type domain\username, they have enough trouble remembering their username already.
  4. Fix Nautilus so that windows network shares are shown (this is a known bug in current version of nautilus)
  5. If i'm logged into my Mint PC as domain\username, i don't expect to be prompted for username and pass again when connecting to network shares
  6. Don't show me windows default shares (e.g. C$ etc) unless I'm a domain admin

normanp

Re: Windows domain logon

Post by normanp » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:58 am

qbicdesign wrote:ok, so i managed to get my Mint install to become a member of a domain, using Likewise Open, but it wasn't easy and its still clunky. here's my wishlist:
  1. Likewise Open installed by default
  2. NTP protocol installed by default (pc can't join a windows domain unless time can be synced with domain controller)
  3. If my Mint PC is a domain member show a domain box on login splash screen - average Joe users can't be expected to type domain\username, they have enough trouble remembering their username already.
  4. Fix Nautilus so that windows network shares are shown (this is a known bug in current version of nautilus)
  5. If i'm logged into my Mint PC as domain\username, i don't expect to be prompted for username and pass again when connecting to network shares
  6. Don't show me windows default shares (e.g. C$ etc) unless I'm a domain admin
I agree - would be nice to have Mint 9 Isadora ready to join a domain. I have struggled (and failed) to get Mint 8 to join an eBox domain - and this would be a great solution for mixed networks.

qbicdesign - could you explain what you did to get Likewise Open to work? Thanks.

Treefrog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Treefrog » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:59 pm

@ normanp. That original post was back in 2008. Though I agree its still a current topic and would be nice if there was an easy way to get Mint to join a domain either from eBox, SME, clearOS or a MS windows domain.

Has anyone got any info about getting Likewise Open to join Mint onto a domain?
Particularly with eBox :-)

Personally I think Mint and eBox are going down a similar road. The one of bringing an easy to use and fully functional computer experience to users who want to use it. It might not be a main development focus for either project to look at and talk with each other about, but I think it would help both a little if they did. Just my biased 10 cents.

qbicdesign
Level 3
Level 3

Post by qbicdesign » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:19 pm

normanp wrote: qbicdesign - could you explain what you did to get Likewise Open to work? Thanks.
Such a long time ago now, I don't remember.
But by small coincedence we have moved from Windows SBS 2003 to Ebox server, so I think I'm gonna try to get this working again.
I'll keep you posted, unless you have a solution - if so please post.

normanp

Post by normanp » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:55 am

Excellent! Looking forward to it.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”