Linux Mint LXQt

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
Tar_Ni
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint LXQt

Post by Tar_Ni »

Hi,

Will the Linux Mint project offer a LXQt release? Let's face it, LXQt is the futur or lightweight desktop environment, and it would be a shame if the Mint project won't jump into the bandwaggon. As XFCE is slowly dying, and LXDE is merging with Razor-qt, LXQt becomes a very attractive options for all those who wish to use a desktop envrionment that is light on ressources.

So, I guess that's my question here, will Linux Mint LXQt become a reality, or is it only wishful thinking?

fraxinus_63
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint LXQt

Post by fraxinus_63 »

So, I guess that's my question here, will Linux Mint LXQt become a reality, or is it only wishful thinking?
I think it very likely you can install it on Mint 17. I asked about this a few months ago - but I haven't got round to taking action. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 30#p886330

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Back in 2012 a poll was done to see what desktop environments Linux Mint users were using; http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 3&t=100787. At that time, Xfce was more than twice as popular than LXDE. I get that LXQt isn't LXDE, just showing there is a large and established userbase on Linux Mint Xfce. Dropping that edition to instead have a LXQt edition wouldn't be a lightweight decision. The number of editions was reduced to 4 on the main edition and 2 on the Debian edition as result of this poll. To allow the team to focus on quality/polish and development instead of having to spend all their time maintaining editions. Hence I think it's unlikely an edition would be added; it would replace an existing edition. But that's just my impression :wink:

It would be interesting to see how many Xfce users would want to use LXQt instead. However, I think there is a large group of Xfce users that are using Xfce because they want to use Xfce—not as a "second best" option because there isn't an LXDE/RazorQt/LXQt edition (all of which you can install and use if you want).

Moved your topic to the suggestions forum.

benbadge72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by benbadge72 »

xenopeek wrote: However, I think there is a large group of Xfce users that are using Xfce because they want to use Xfce—not as a "second best" option because there isn't an LXDE/RazorQt/LXQt edition (all of which you can install and use if you want).
Like the admission of open choices and recalling it's Linux, users can use their own choice of software. :) Currently, have LXDE, XFCE, Mate, Flux & Ice *boxes, also Open * box with LXDE or on its own. If I recall correctly, Openbox can intergrate with most desktop environs. Presently using XFCE simply for eye pleasing and over all intutive UI. Did have Cinnamon but it got wonky after installing Nvidia drivers for a new card with more memory.

Wife read over something. "Huh, wouldn't you know, Cinnamon is only for the standard Mint edition and not LMDE2", she tells me. She apparently read it from the Mint site somewhere. As it borked over the new drivers, just took it off the system. It was nice to look at but not worth a hassle. I enjoy using the lighter weight environs despite having a fairly decent system. These light weights often code a lot tighter and move a lot faster. When you're a "git 'er done" type like me, that's helpful. :)

Have tried Enlightment a time or few and KDE. Both seem to give me too much borking, too much hassle. Someone suggested a KDE 3 fork, hesitant to try it out though. Not in the Mint universe as it were. But maybe I have a few things on here anyway that aren't, or maybe I don't. *chuckles & grins* Not sure it matters so long as I'm careful and don't bork it myself.

Good to see an open spirit still prevailing. :)
He runs through shouting, "on me, on me!" We stop him asking if he
knew our destination. "No, but it's okay, we'll get there quicker", he
replies with smirk. Running with him ever since.

az2008
Level 1
Level 1

Post by az2008 »

xenopeek wrote:Back in 2012 a poll was done ....
It would be interesting to see how many Xfce users would want to use LXQt instead.
Sorry to revive a 6 mo-old thread. Manjaro has a LXQt "community edition"[1] created May 2016. I installed it in a virtual box. It is beautiful.[2]

I don't think I'm bit-fiddly enough to run Manjaro, let alone a non-official distro. But, that's very tempting. I wonder how hard that would be to do with MintX. I found some descriptions of how to install LXQt. But, I couldn't get it to work (I didn't see any difference in the desktop).

Anyway... it would be interesting to do that 2012 poll again when LXQt is more "there"(?). I've been using Lubuntu (LXDE) and assume LXQt will be more visible as a desktop when Lubuntu switches to it. (It was scheduled for 16.04, then 16.10. I have read conflicting statements about whether it's still expected in 16.10.).

If there was a tutorial about how to install LXQt in MintX (to the extent it would look like that Manjaro edition in Mint), that would be huge (IMO).

[1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/manjar ... nity/LXQT/
[2] Announcement and screenshot: https://manjaro.github.io/Manjaro-Lxqt-16.05-released/

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Last month they called for help (https://sourceforge.net/p/lxde/mailman/ ... /35240277/). I hope they got some more volunteers.

Have you tried Linux Mint 18 Xfce? It's beautiful :)

az2008
Level 1
Level 1

Post by az2008 »

xenopeek wrote:Last month they called for help (https://sourceforge.net/p/lxde/mailman/ ... /35240277/). I hope they got some more volunteers.
I wish I knew enough to help in some way. I subscribed to the mailing list and will spend some time poking around LXQt.org to see if I can find a niche.

But, it looks very nice the way it is. I wish I could recreate that Manjaro edition in MintX or Lubuntu. If the manual steps were documented, I think it would be an amazing desktop.
xenopeek wrote:Have you tried Linux Mint 18 Xfce? It's beautiful :)
Yes. I'm using Xubuntu at the moment. I prefer MintX (my shorthand, I get tired of typing out Xfce.). But, had a UEFI problem when I installed. I switched to Xubuntu thinking I would get better support on ubuntuforums. The solution (boot-fix) made MintX installable. But, I stayed with Xubuntu. I plan to try to make myself get used to it for two months, then evaluate Lubuntu 16.10. Maybe go back to it (since it plans to have LXQt this release or the next).

Anyway, I definitely thought MintX was the more intuitive implementation of Xfce. It has the amount of eye-candy I'd like to have (compared to Lubuntu LXDE, whch I've been using for over a year).

But, there is something about Xfce that doesn't fit for me. I think Lubuntu/LXDE is more Windows-like. And, LXQt seems more Windows-like (as the next step in LXDE).

I'll probably end up staying on Lubuntu. Xfce isn't grabbing me. But, I wish Mint would have a LX edition. I like Mint better than Ubuntu. It seems to me Mint is more the common-person's Linux. Ubuntu distros always seem led by very smart people producing distros for very smart people with similar tastes. There doesn't seem to be much concern for reaching the common folk (other than, "you can change it to be anything you want." There's not a lot of creating canned choices for those people so that they have something more common to their tastes when the install finishes. I think Mint is geared more towards that, and "you can change it to anything you want" is more intuitive to the knowlegeable users).

That's just my impression, and why I'd like to see LXQt in Mint. I think it's more intuitive (more Windows-like) for the typical new user. That's why I'd like to see Mint have it (since Mint seems more responsive to the typical user.). I don't see the niche Xfce fills in terms of resource usage. Mate is more eye-candy for about the same memory cost. LXQt is about the same eye candy with less memory cost. (That Majaro edition is using 170meg. MintX is using 220.).

I know those are small memory differences for most people. But, if I recall, Mate was around 220meg too. So, I don't see the point of Xfce. It does seem to be "swirling the drain" (as the OP said). The Xubuntu guys were creating testimonials this month, trying to market Xubuntu and increase its relevancy.

If the edition seen in Manjaro was available today, I seriously wonder how that poll from 2012 would turn out. :)

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”