1 installation (iso) image??

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
nomko
Level 10
Level 10

1 installation (iso) image??

Post by nomko » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:25 am

Looking at OpenSuse, they provide 1 installation image in which you can choose your preferred desktop environment. Looking at Mint i see 4 desktop environments: Cinnamon, Mate, KDE, Xfce. The tools/forks created/developed by the Mint team is equal for all desktops.

So, why not creating 1 single image where the user can choose their favourite desktop environment during the setup/installation? Saves a bunch downloading, you only need 1 DVD-disc.

Any thoughts about this?

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Re: 1 installation (iso) image??

Post by MartyMint » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:26 pm

Some folks have limited bandwidth from their ISP. A multi-desktop install disk would be fairly large.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:16 pm

MartyMint, your argument about bandwith is valid, but this can also be used in the opposite direction. If someone needs to have at least 2 DEs (say for an older machine and a newer one) he has to download at now 2 ISOs, whereas the very most part of them (the Ubunti-base, about 70 to 90 %) are identical., So a multi-DE.ISO would save bandwith. And if my assumption about the portion of the DEs in the whole ISO is nearly correct, putting them all in one ISO would not make them so much bigger.

But I see other problems. The main question is, which DE shall get launched for the live system? XFCE, because it is the most resource-friendly? Cinnamon, because it is alphabetically the first?
A live system is not only an installer medium, but also a system for learning the system before installing it. It is also an emergency system, if the installed system is not usable at the moment. If in such a situation the probably nervous user has also the need, to find the right places, where he can go ahead, he might get in panic. Also the installing dialog would get the need for an additional choice (DE), where the one or other user does not know, what to choose in the situation, when he gets asked. A number of them will then take, what is given as the first (= default) selection, and I am quite sure, that we will have a heavy discussion here, because the fans of the other DEs feel neglected.

That means, that there is some brainstorming needed to find the right solution and some more time, to make the code for it. I think, that the developers have enough and higher-priority tasks to do.

ajgreeny
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ajgreeny » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:22 pm

Not a good idea in my opinion.

When I started using Linux 10 years ago I began with one that offered different DEs in the installation. I had no idea what the question really meant so installed all of them. What a mess that got me into!

I think the same would be true of many installing a new OS who have little idea what gnome, KDE LXDE, XFCE, etc etc mean. You could argue that people should study more before installing so they know what they want, but that is not the way the world works I'm afraid.

Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:03 pm

MartyMint wrote:Some folks have limited bandwidth from their ISP. A multi-desktop install disk would be fairly large.
Even though having all four of the openSUSE desktops included in a single .iso file may seem convenient to some people, the 4.7GB size of the .iso image took quite a while for me to download, and I have a fairly fast internet connection. If I remember correctly, downloading openSUSE 13.1 took between 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 25 minutes for me to download from the mirror located at Temple University in Philadelphia, Pa., which is the closest one to me. In contrast, downloading any Linux Mint version (at ~ 1.5GB) takes me about 15 minutes. So I'm guessing that the LM mirrors are just a wee bit faster than the one at Temple University.

Now, I'm not saying that the approach taken by openSUSE is a bad one. I'm just saying you have to expect this and be patient. :wink:
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh

electric-wildflower
Level 1
Level 1

Post by electric-wildflower » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:15 am

I think this is a brilliant idea now this shouldn't replace the single desktop environment dvd's but it would be nice for developers, computer builders, sellers and all round geeks who like trying out different desktops and such. Of course with download speeds etc it can be a nightmare but to the people who have decent speeds it would be nice to have this as an option. Would certainly save me the hassle of downloading all the different versions to test. How it would be implemented an idea i have is.

When you load the DVD, Pendrive etc it would come to a menu just after grub which you can pick the version ie 32 bit, 64 bit and then which desktop environment you want to load into which you would then come to the live environment with the desktop of your choice. you could log out of the environment and be greeted with the chance of trying another environment if you so wish. When you install the OS again you have the option of picking 32 bit and 64 bit with a further option of choosing a desktop environment. We could also have it so you get to pick more than one if you wanted and then a option of picking the default environment to start up and if you want to change later you do the log out and switch method.

This would certainly save me having DVD after DVD on my server hard disk when i can have one single file.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:31 am

not so good for those of us, who have a lousy 'net connection.
:(

used to follow some distro's like openSUSE & Ultimate Edition
- but had to pull back on getting those large ISOs, even on an irregular basis.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:51 pm

The thing is, the 4 versions are not ready at the same time. Cinnamon and Mate always come first, KDE and XFCE follow a couple of weeks later. Does that mean everyone has to wait till all the DE's are ready? Would you want that?
For me it is okay since I use the KDE version and always come last, but that's okay. The interval time is still the same. Plus, by the time the KDE version is released the first bugs from the new distro have been found and taken care of already.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”