Provite (full) context menu in Gnome's save-as dialog boxes

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
andy__
Level 1
Level 1

Provite (full) context menu in Gnome's save-as dialog boxes

Post by andy__ »

On microsoft's operating systems, I can drag, drop and delete files from "save as..." and "open file..." dialogs. I'd like to do that with gnome/nautilus.

blausand
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Provide (full) context menu in Gnome's open/save dialogs

Post by blausand »

+1
Adding to that, it's annoyingly impossible to break out of this dialogue, since the path editing option also fails to let users copy the location.
Can't believe it's 2017.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Provite (full) context menu in Gnome's save-as dialog boxes

Post by xenopeek »

KDE's file dialog supports most of the things discussed here:
- Files can be dragged from the file dialog to somewhere else, like a file manager window, and the user can choose to move, copy or link the file to the new location.
- Files can not be dropped from somewhere else into the file dialog.
- Files can be deleted in the file dialog.
- Clicking at the end of the path in the file dialog toggles showing the full path in an edit bar.

So aside from dropping files, all features discussed here are implemented. On KDE.

As for non-KDE desktop environments like Cinnamon, MATE and Xfce—which are all Gtk based—files can only be dragged from the file dialog to somewhere else to copy the files. None of the other features discussed here are implemented in the Gtk file dialog. Implementing those features would be a suggestion for Gtk, which isn't developed by Linux Mint.

Dragging & dropping files from file dialogs doesn't sound useful to me personally. Delete might perhaps occasionally be handy and certainly path editing would be useful for me.

KDE often gives users more different ways to do the same thing and more ways to customize how things work. For users that need that sort of thing the best suggestion is probably to give KDE a try.

blausand
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Provite (full) context menu in Gnome's save-as dialog boxes

Post by blausand »

Ah,
thanks for clearing that out, also for linking us to GTK.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”