Donations by mail

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
Try'n 2 Learn
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Donation

Post by Try'n 2 Learn » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:43 am

i refuse to use paypal, one wonders why the mint crew has no other form of donations,... through a standard credit/gift card application. personally, i feel like baking the mint crew a party batched-sized patter of pumpkin-chocolate chip cookies.
although i am still learning about linux, it is vastly improved over my last experience/effort a decade or so ago. i have not even tried a game with linux, but something tells me i could find something of that nature if i were so inclined (was a more popular subject for me in my velvet years). of course, this forum is a tremendous help to many it seems and with expansive topic matters.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:00 am

the Mint project is based in Ireland, which is part of Europe :o

so - it's the cost of intra-bank Fees that are the prime issue.
- the Admin has chosen to not accept internet-banking type deposits, at this point in time.
the LM Admin has the call on this subject ..

you can support Mint in others ways:
- buy their promotional products, that they get a commission on ..
eg: MintBox // DvDs - which are supplied by a 3rd party & the Mint project gets a small commission
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

One Sock
Level 1
Level 1

Donations by mail

Post by One Sock » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:02 pm

I was just looking at the Mint donations page, and it appears that the only way to donate is via Paypal or bitcoin/mintcoin. I refuse to go through Paypal at all--even without creating an account--and I don't have any bitcoins or mintcoins. If Mint would care to set up a post office box or some such thing, I'd be happy to mail in a money order or cash.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Donations by mail

Post by Pierre » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:14 pm

the LinuxMint project is based in the EU and as such. has difficulty in accepting donations from outside of the EU.
- they don't usually give out their BSB details either. ..

you are not the first, to ask for alternative methods, when uncomfortable with using the P/P method.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!

LaughingCrow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LaughingCrow » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:24 pm

Same here. Not interested in a PayPal account or paying through PayPal (for various reasons).

Do you have an alternate method of support?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:23 am

The payment options are what they are; donating through mail (cash or check) is not viable for various reasons. You're not the first to bring this up and it has been looked at seriously before. We appreciate you wanting to find a way to support the Linux Mint developers.

I don't think paying through mail is an option for these either, but the store and partners page list various shops and services that share part of their revenue with Linux Mint or that sponsor Linux Mint.

ravestaves
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ravestaves » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Same with me. I'm looking forward doing a donation via credit card or money transfer.

Mr.October
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mr.October » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:13 pm

So, I am not the only one who does not want to use Paypal. Just visited the donations page and Paypal is the only option there, besides Bitcoins and mintcoins. How to donate if Paypal is no option for us?

Mr.October
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint Hack Donation thread!

Post by Mr.October » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:37 pm

Donated €100 last year and want to do the same now, but I don't want to use Paypal. I wrote Mint about it to ask if there are other ways to pay, but no answer yet.
I simply don't see why someone wants to use an external company to get payments when you know this company also needs to live and wants to get paid for their services. Just give me a bankaccount number and I transfer the money without any additional costs.

Mr.October
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mr.October » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:06 am

I have had e-mail contact with Mint about this, telling them I do want to make a donation (€100) but not using Paypal. This is the answer:

Code: Select all

Anyway, unfortunately we can only use Paypal for donations. It's not easy to turn down money but each transaction has to be processed both to acknowledge that help and to account for it with the Irish tax system. Paypal isn't perfect but it allows the Linux Mint developers to automate parts of this and it is tied to its accountancy process.
I am very sorry but no Paypal for me. I don't want all my personal data to be stored on American servers so a company (Paypal in this case) can do with it what they want.
I believe in Mint, I love to use it and I do so every day. I want to contribute, I know Mint needs money to stay alive, to solve problems, but not in this way. So it seems that free software now means two things: free as in free speech AND free as in free beer. Mind you, this is not what I want. I am willing to pay for using Mint, it's just that I can't do it using the Mint's way.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:13 pm

ask a friend with a paypal account to do it for you. And give him the money. :)
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Drygar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drygar » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:05 am

Mr.October wrote:I am very sorry but no Paypal for me. I don't want all my personal data to be stored on American servers so a company
Oh, come on, Mr.October. Please, think again. You never ever registered to any kind of US web site, never ever had any USA contact, you never ever provided a single detail to US company? Do you have a debit/credit card (VISA, MasterCard, AM) ? Have you ever traveled to the USA ? If any of these is answered as yes, then they already have your data and it is stored there, its already there for the centuries to stay. Game over.

On topic - Personally, I also don't like Pay Pal and have/had difficulties with them. Their service is awful (even though situated in Luxembourg for Europe) and they don't accept neither my debit VISA card nor my MasterCard credit.
I would also prefer to have any other kind of donation options such as bank transfer (IBAN/SEPA) or whatever, or directly using the card on LM site. I regularly donate to Debian and Mozilla and once before to LM (but used a virtual debit card which is not easy to setup here - e.g. every month).
Fan of XFCE, MATE, Linux Mint, RedHat, ecryptFS, FSF
Open source enthusiast
No security - No freedom
LM 17.2

His name is Linux >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOtKZA9ri7M

Mr.October
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mr.October » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:55 am

Drygar wrote:
Mr.October wrote:I am very sorry but no Paypal for me. I don't want all my personal data to be stored on American servers so a company
Oh, come on, Mr.October. Please, think again. You never ever registered to any kind of US web site, never ever had any USA contact, you never ever provided a single detail to US company? Do you have a debit/credit card (VISA, MasterCard, AM) ? Have you ever traveled to the USA ? If any of these is answered as yes, then they already have your data and it is stored there, its already there for the centuries to stay. Game over.

On topic - Personally, I also don't like Pay Pal and have/had difficulties with them. Their service is awful (even though situated in Luxembourg for Europe) and they don't accept neither my debit VISA card nor my MasterCard credit.
I would also prefer to have any other kind of donation options such as bank transfer (IBAN/SEPA) or whatever, or directly using the card on LM site. I regularly donate to Debian and Mozilla and once before to LM (but used a virtual debit card which is not easy to setup here - e.g. every month).
Okay Okay, you convinced me. I transferred the money using Paypal even though I don't want an account. I never use Paypal so why should I? Only to make a yearly donation to LinuxMint. I really wish Mint would find a better way to receive money. I donated €100. Will Mint also receive the full €100? If so, who is paying for Paypal? How does it work?

I am very happy with Mint and am willing to make a donation every year to help keeping this OS alive. I am using it and it doesn't have to be 'gratis'.

BEeK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BEeK » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:46 pm

Mr.October wrote: I donated €100. Will Mint also receive the full €100? If so, who is paying for Paypal? How does it work?
No, LinuxMint will not receive €100, unless you added more to cover the fees.

Paypal fees are usually 2.9% + $0.30. That's how they make money.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:52 pm

personally, I'm *not* too keen on giving my card details to any foreign company,
& particularly those based in North America, & so the use of PayPay is preferred,
it's by no means, an ideal method, & so far there has been no issues with P/P.
- if there was - then there are options in this country, to chase them for Fraud,
using local Consumer Laws. - people have done that, already & with eBay as well.

having said all of that - I've just recently purchased some software from a CA company,
for a fairly low amount & if that had gone bad, then I would have to simply wear the loss.
- but it didn't & neither has some software purchases from US companies, in the past.

the big issue with Computers & the Internet itself,
is that it is almost completely controlled by N.A. based companies,
& that the RoTW has to deal with that issue.

Lazy and Stupid
Level 2
Level 2

PAYPAL

Post by Lazy and Stupid » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:36 pm

I refuse to use Paypal for the same reason mentioned by others. Paypal is dishonest and evil. GOOGLE "Paypal stole my money" and see the hundreds of hits. Years ago. the first time I started using the Mint, I sent Clem a check directly in the mail for a hundred dollars because thats what I figured the going rate for an operating system was. Since then I wanted to donate every time I upgraded for the going rate for upgrades, but can't because there is no alternative to Paypal. Paypal will never never never get any of my information.

Isn't it better to pay the bank transaction fees and receive hundreds of dollars that you will never get otherwise? Sounds like the guy who won't work overtime because the money will be taxed at a higher rate. I tell them to give me the money, because I will be happy to pay the tax on it. There are many people like me, who can afford to pay for the product but are also smart enough not to get involved with Paypal.

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Post by all41 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:50 pm

Can one use a disposable prepaid card for this purpose?

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”