Noobfriendliness Improvement of Linux Mint

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
Mintberry
Level 1
Level 1

Noobfriendliness Improvement of Linux Mint

Post by Mintberry » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:33 pm

SteamOS was released 2 Months ago and because of this you have a new big influx of windows converts who Dualboot LinuxMint with Windows. (I dont use SteamOS because it is too constrained.)

One of their Main Concerns is that their games work and their gpu drivers are uptodate. They know of the windows routine to get the newest gpu driver with monthly updates for more gpu speed or error fixing in games.

As a LinuxMint Noob who uses Linux Mint in Dual Boot for Steam Gaming mostly since a month ago i would like that the "Driver Manager" tells me:

1. the release Date of AMD graphic cards driver for choosing.

2. Info or Tooltip, HELP button in the Driver manager which explains directly what the difference for example between fglrx and fglrx updates is.

3. For a noob i dont understand until now if a new driver for my gpu will be a new option in the "Driver Manager" when it is added in the repository or if the options still remain the same throughout or they will change with upgrading Linux Mint. Couldnt find an answer in the forum and nobody answered me there. When i installed LM 17.2 i had as an option Version 2:15.200-0ubuntu0.5 and after LM 17.3 too. On the other hand on the AMD website there is a generic Linux driver and an Ubuntu driver(Ubuntu ​15.04, Ubuntu ​14.04.2​​​ ​, 12.04.4 LTS​​)​. Nobody explains to a noob which to choose from the 4 drivers. As i understand LM is based on Ubuntu 14.04.2 (which is not noobfriendly to expect noobs to even know which ubuntu version underlies the current LM Version) So should i use the Generic one or U14.04.2?? What i mean is that you should make the driver issue more noobfriendly. Didnt find any good tutorial on it either which explains the differences and even whether and how the driver options in the Driver Manager get updated or not)
http://support.amd.com/de-de/download/d ... ntu+x86+64
there are 8 different drivers for ubuntu (how are noobs supposed to know which to choose) At least they have a release date : 18.12.2015

4. The way it is now it is very complicated for a noob and hard to find answers. (On a sidenote i think we should have in the Welcome Screen [after installing first time] a button called "TUTORIALS" to a WIKIPAGE. The Forum is nice and everything but it is not central and it is difficult to find anything in comparison to a Wikipage(LinuxMintWiki).

5. There should be another option on the Welcome Screen called "Introduction to Linux Mint for Windows Users" AND "Introduction to Linux Mint for MAC Users" which brings you to those chapters in the Linuxmintwiki.

6. Another thing would be a central Discussion Section like "NOOBFRIENDLY MAKING SUGGESTION". If in the future Linux should gain more and more support Linux should be even more noob friendly. Lets face it guys many people out there are no computer geeks like us (old people and others...) The most adopted distribution of Linux is the noobfriendliest of all. That is why i came to Linux Mint. Another thing is that Mint resembles Windows Desktop in comparison to ubuntu and therefore is better and easier suited to convert to as a former Windows user. If you care about Linux you should make it even easier to use than Windows and like with the "Welcome Screen Introduction for Windows Users" option you could smoothen the conversion of Windows users to Linux.

7. In the Spirit of Noobfriendliness (or Dumbest possible user) i think Mint needs more Help Buttons explaining things during Installation and on the Desktop Interface overall.

8. FAQ Section in the "Introduction for Windows Users" Wiki a general FAQ as well. Didnt find any FAQ and dont know if there even is any.

9. put the "Show Desktop" button by standard installation in the bottom right corner (like Windows 7) instead of placing it at the top left bottom between the console and firefox symbol. I used this button in Windows 7 very much and because it was on the bottom right corner you could easily find it with your mouse by going to the corner with one stroke and click. But as it is now you must "fish" for it in between the 4 symbols and you must concentrate to click on the right one. ( I know you can change it by personalisation but the question is the standard design when installed and if the former Windows solution with the corner isnt more intuitive than the arrangement now)

10. More Polls overall and on Desktop Design Questions like Issue 9. above could be put up for a poll for example.
Last edited by Mintberry on Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mintberry
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Noobfriendliness Improvement of Linux Mint

Post by Mintberry » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:22 pm

11. Put the "Trash" button at Standard on the Desktop like in Windows. Just give it a better name. I know "Recycle Bin" is perhaps copyrighted by Microsoft if not i would suppose its better than calling it Trash. (Trash is a very crude and harsh word imo) or just call it "Disposal" or something

12. I wanted to make a copy of the Firefox Shortcut from the bottom main menubar to the desktop by holding clicking on the firefox button and moving the mouse on the Desktop. This way in Windows you can intuitively make a second copy from the Symbolbuttons on your mainmenubar to the desktop. Unfortunately it isnt as easy as this in Mint. Rightclicking on it just gives me "launch, add, edit, remove" *I would recommend here as an option "Make copy of Launcher on Desktop" and the 2nd way to clickhold on the symbol and move it to the desktop for a copy.

In my noobsearch to make a firefox launcher on the desktop I open the bottom left menu button and on the top left there is another firefox symbol. RIGHTclicking on it doesnt provide any options unfortunately.

After going to the Menu and finding manually the firefox Webbrowser under Internet (the search doesnt work anymore somehow strangely) i found the desired option at least. "Add to Desktop is there at last. I hope my explaining of my journey to make a Firefox Shortcut on the Desktop explains the difficulties for a noob and gives insight in how to make it easier and more noobfriendly.

13. When you open Linuxmint.com unfortunately the forum Section is VERY VERY hidden on the webpage. Instead of putting the forum button on the top and BIG somewhere on the site you must click first on the right button participate and then search for it in the middle "Register on the forums" or "Join the Linux Mint forums" i think the Forum and in the Future the Wiki (if there will be any as i recommended should be somewhere central on the mainsite and easily findable) The webpage could somewhere as well need a clearly and easily seeable Button/Section with tutorials for Windows Converts (e.g. "First Steps etc. ) which links to the "Introducing Linux Mint to Windows Users" Wiki on the Site. As it is now the site layout is confusing and could be made so much easier, with better overview and noobiefriendly.

NOT ONLY IS LINUX MINT IMPORTANT BUT THE WEBSITE AS WELL! THE WEBSITE IS LIKE THE "BUSINESS CARD" OF YOUR DISTRIBUTION !!!

Therefore the site should be better and not so confusing as it is now. I know the developers probably have their hands full with the distro and that is rightfully so their main concern but dont forget the first impression is what counts, and the first impression and your business card for introducing mint to the masses is your website layout!

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”