Default graphical user environment for Linux Mint 18 - Cinnamon,Deepin, KDE?

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
siemien
Level 1
Level 1

Default graphical user environment for Linux Mint 18 - Cinnamon,Deepin, KDE?

Post by siemien »

I have question for the devs, what kind of Desktop Environment you use in the next release of Linux Mint? Still Cinnamon? Maybe Deepin is the best way to provide new look and feel? What do you think about this idea? For me Deepin Desktop Environment is the best GUI for Linux. I use every day Cinnamon and KDE on my PCs and I don't have any issues with them, but Cinnamon now looks preeety old compare to Deepin, dont you think? Btw. Can any one send me a code for register on this sitel?

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Default graphical user environment for Linux Mint 18 - Cinnamon,Deepin, KDE?

Post by jimallyn »

Apparently you missed this, on the page that you linked to:
To get a registration code connect to the chatroom (From within Linux Mint, launch Menu->Welcome Screen and click on Chat Room), introduce yourself and ask for a registration code.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Default graphical user environment for Linux Mint 18 - Cinnamon,Deepin, KDE?

Post by Cosmo. »

siemien wrote:Cinnamon now looks preeety old compare to Deepin, dont you think?
Not here on my computer.
Deepin: Too much Windows look, to high resource usage.

linuxfreak

Post by linuxfreak »

The answer here can be quit clear: Cinnamon AND Mate will be the default desktop environments for Mint. When Mint 18 is released with these 2 desktop environments, within a month you will get Mint 18 with KDE and Xfce desktop environment. This was always the path for Mint and will be for the future.

Adapting other desktop environments like the Deepin DE will make Mint only a sort of a look-a-like of Deepin. Beside that, the Deepin DE was purely created for the Deepin distro.

jelabarre59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jelabarre59 »

Deepin, that's not one of those horrid Metro/Material Design-like UIs is it? One of the many things I like about Linux is I can *avoid* the accursed "flat-look" that has infected so many operating systems. Cinnamon, Mate, KDE all have a nice textured and detailed look in their standard configurations.

MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Mint with a Deepin desktop would basically be Deepin- so why not use Deepin?

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”