New category for document tagging

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
user2
Level 1
Level 1

New category for document tagging

Post by user2 »

I work with hundreds of documents in MS and i have to tag them in order to have a brief info about the document. This helps me find quickly what im searching for, without having to acces the document and read what is it about. As i understand, for libre office or other app devs, to make possible this feature, they need a new category in columns, named "tags". For those that have bulks of documents to work with, tagging and searching by tags is a very useful thing.
With consideration !

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Re: New category for document tagging

Post by deepakdeshp »

It is an OS feature and not LO feature as such.

https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question ... ment-tags/
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

user2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by user2 »

:shock: Found my post on LO. Initially i wrote there about my suggestion. If it's not a LO thing, than i've posted the same question here.
I hope maybe it will be available soon

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

This would need to be supported in the filesystem used itself or the file manager you used would have to keep some kind of tag database. And then somehow LibreOffice should add support for using tags from the filesystem or file manager's tag database. While it may be a very useful feature for you I doubt there are many Linux Mint users that would use it as it's a paradigm shift. Hard to justify time being spent on this currently.

If you Google around a bit for "linux file manager tags" you can find some relevant stuff. Like this excellent article with overview of options you have for tagging: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/tag-youre- ... tagspaces/. Doesn't integrate with LibreOffice though so if that if that integration is most important to you then perhaps stick with Windows as you won't have that on Linux right now.

user2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by user2 »

thanks for the reply !
I just gave the idea. I hope, in the near future it might be integrated !
And thanks for the useful link !

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”