Xorg 1.17 update options in LM17.3+ and 18+

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
RadeonXen
Level 1
Level 1

Xorg 1.17 update options in LM17.3+ and 18+

Post by RadeonXen »

I request an xorg-17 package that puts the latest xorg 1.17.? on Linux Mint 18 and 17.

All of us who have an AMD APU (in my case a Mullins A8-6410) a generation shy of support in the amdgpu driver need xorg 1.17 and the proprietary driver for current AMD / ATI video hardware as the open source ati and radeon drivers are inadequate.

If someone has a howto for applying the Ubuntu and/or Mint patches to Xorg or Ubuntu base sources, so please let me know.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Xorg 1.17 update options in LM17.3+ and 18+

Post by deepakdeshp »

Mint 18 and Ubuntu 16.04 dont have any propreitery AMD driver. For Mint 17.x you can go to driver manager and load fglrx driver, if not already loaded.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

rene
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Xorg 1.17 update options in LM17.3+ and 18+

Post by rene »

RadeonXen wrote:All of us who have an AMD APU (in my case a Mullins A8-6410) a generation shy of support in the amdgpu driver need xorg 1.17 and the proprietary driver for current AMD / ATI video hardware as the open source ati and radeon drivers are inadequate.
What is inadequate about the current open-source "radeon" driver? Works very well for me. Note that it has improved significantly from pre Xorg 1.18 days. A current trouble spot I'm aware of is dual/hybrid-graphics situations but otherwise it seems to be in pretty good shape.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”