Please add SimpleScreenRecorder to LinuxMint repos

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
scjet45
Level 3
Level 3

Please add SimpleScreenRecorder to LinuxMint repos

Post by scjet45 »

Recordmydesktop is extremely slow, -even with the undocumented, and almost useless speed fix, "--v_bitrate 2000000", that was supposed to speed it up.

Whereas,
SimpleScreenRecorder is simple, stable, and very, very fast, with good features:
http://www.maartenbaert.be/simplescreenrecorder/

So, I highly suggest that LinuxMint make (SSR) <- SimpleScreenRecorder available in our repo's.

Cheers.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Please add SimpleCreenRecorder to LinuxMint repo's

Post by jimallyn »

That would be nice, but really it's not hard to install from the PPA.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Please add SimpleCreenRecorder to LinuxMint repo's

Post by richyrich »

In Mint 17.3 all I did was enable the removed repository from the Additional Repositories section in the Software Sources program. :-)

scjet45
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Please add SimpleScreenRecorder to LinuxMint repos

Post by scjet45 »

thanks for the above replies,

And yes, I realize that SimpleScreenRecorder is not available via apt-get, or symaptic unless I add the ppa.
I've also read everywhere, that LinuxMint themselves strongly suggest that people should not add ppa's.
And for a "new" person, who, for example, has just recently came to LM, from Windows, it makes it a better Linux experience to have good free software available in the LM repo's

As politely as I can say, "RecordMyDesktop" is caca/useless.- It takes longer for RMD to finish transcoding than it does just to make a desktop recording, whereas SSR is almost instantaneous, which means a much greater convenience for (re) video editing purposes.

So, again, my suggestion here is to just add SSR to LM's repo's, or even better yet, "REPLACE" RMD with SSR.

Thanks.

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Please add SimpleScreenRecorder to LinuxMint repos

Post by clem »

Hi,

Not at all. We even developed an entire part of mintsources (Menu -> Software Sources -> PPA) dedicated to PPAs. We support them very well, we even let you browse and downgrade foreign packages, which is an essential feature after removing a PPA.

The only thing you need to worry about, when using a PPA is who's maintaining it and whether it can be trusted.

Other than that, even compatibility is checked by mintsources nowadays.

If you read comments implying not to use PPAs within our documentation or forums, especially if it comes from myself (who knows what happened in the last 10 years), please let me know so we can modify it.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”