Ubuntu Mate version and uninstalling "essentials"

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Ubuntu Mate version and uninstalling "essentials"

Post by Arch_Enemy »

See this thread: viewtopic.php?p=1227742&sid=62b25646f9f ... 2#p1227742

In short, a new version of Ubuntu Mate allows uninstalling Mate apps deemed "essential" without uninstalling the whole desktop environment.
To me this is an interesting idea. I try to remove certain aspects of the Mate desktop and get a list of 'dependencies' that remove the whole desktop.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Ubuntu Mate version and uninstalling "essentials"

Post by Flemur »

a new version of Ubuntu Mate allows uninstalling Mate apps deemed "essential" without uninstalling the whole desktop environment.
Did you mean "recommended but not essential" rather than "essential"?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Ubuntu Mate version and uninstalling "essentials"

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Flemur wrote:
a new version of Ubuntu Mate allows uninstalling Mate apps deemed "essential" without uninstalling the whole desktop environment.
Did you mean "recommended but not essential" rather than "essential"?
Ah, yes. Thanks.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”