Flash Player - Installed By Default

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
Post Reply
retsmah
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:06 pm

Flash Player - Installed By Default

Post by retsmah »

Flash player used to be installed by default, but not in the latest version 18.

Flash player has been updated for Linux recently, to version 22 (from 11). So flash player is modern again.

Can it be installed by default, it is used everywhere, I see it as essential

??

User avatar
Schultz
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1723
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:57 pm

Re: Flash Player - Installed By Default

Post by Schultz »

It's still in beta, so it will have to be downloaded and installed manually. I guess it's up to version 24 now, based on the link below:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer.html

retsmah
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:06 pm

Re: Flash Player - Installed By Default

Post by retsmah »

Schultz wrote:It's still in beta, so it will have to be downloaded and installed manually. I guess it's up to version 24 now, based on the link below:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer.html

The Linux version is on version 23 and final. ???

Who are you ?

User avatar
Schultz
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1723
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:57 pm

Re: Flash Player - Installed By Default

Post by Schultz »

Who am I? :? Well, who are you? I'm a forum user just like yourself! Did you expect Clem to answer your post?

It makes sense that 23 is out of beta since they are on beta 24, but I can't find it (or an announcement that it is final) anywhere, so I'm doubtful. Care to share a link where flash 23 final for Linux can be downloaded?

retsmah
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:06 pm

Re: Flash Player - Installed By Default

Post by retsmah »

[quote="Schultz"]Who am I? :? Well, who are you? I'm a forum user just like yourself! Did you expect Clem to answer your post?

My first time here.

So how does the Linux Mint Distribution people get to know about what is wanted in the next release?. Do they read these particular topics in this forum?

User avatar
Schultz
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1723
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:57 pm

Re: Flash Player - Installed By Default

Post by Schultz »

retsmah wrote:
So how does the Linux Mint Distribution people get to know about what is wanted in the next release?. Do they read these particular topics in this forum?
I can't really answer this question, but if you want to install flash 23 (or the new beta 24) here's a link to a post from xenopeek (one of the Administrators) on how to do it. (It probably will still be a while before the new version makes it to the repository.)

[Link removed since the directions no longer apply.]
Last edited by Schultz on Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24
Posts: 24270
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Flash Player - Installed By Default

Post by xenopeek »

Flash Player is installed when you install the multimedia codecs (see the installer in your sound & video menu or install the mint-meta-codecs package directly). This will install the currently support stable version (as of time of this writing, 11.2.202.643. Newer versions as you refer to as still in beta for Linux and there isn't a stable release yet. When there is a stable release you should see an upgrade from the Flash Player package maintainer for Ubuntu at Adobe.

As to "it is used everywhere, I see it as essential", that is your personal experience and opinion. Of the thousands of websites in my bookmarks, only one website is still requiring Flash Player. I don't have Flash Player installed as it is unsafe as Firefox on Linux doesn't sandbox plugins. I would recommend you install Google Chrome or Chromium (with PepperFlash added from Chrome in case you use Chromium) if you need Flash, as these do sandbox the plugin. This also gets you the latest version of Flash.

My topic Schultz linked to is outdated and won't work as written, but check the comments at the end with up to date links: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=229204&start=20#p1234267. With that you can install Flash Player beta for use with Firefox, though it still isn't sandbox as noted.
Image

retsmah
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:06 pm

Re: Flash Player - Installed By Default

Post by retsmah »

xenopeek wrote:Flash Player is installed when you install the multimedia codecs (see the installer in your sound & video menu or install the mint-meta-codecs package directly). This will install the currently support stable version (as of time of this writing, 11.2.202.643. Newer versions as you refer to as still in beta for Linux and there isn't a stable release yet. When there is a stable release you should see an upgrade from the Flash Player package maintainer for Ubuntu at Adobe.

As to "it is used everywhere, I see it as essential", that is your personal experience and opinion. Of the thousands of websites in my bookmarks, only one website is still requiring Flash Player. I don't have Flash Player installed as it is unsafe as Firefox on Linux doesn't sandbox plugins. I would recommend you install Google Chrome or Chromium (with PepperFlash added from Chrome in case you use Chromium) if you need Flash, as these do sandbox the plugin. This also gets you the latest version of Flash.

My topic Schultz linked to is outdated and won't work as written, but check the comments at the end with up to date links: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=229204&start=20#p1234267. With that you can install Flash Player beta for use with Firefox, though it still isn't sandbox as noted.
OK, yes I can install it by causing it to download using your methods.

I was specifically asking for it to be installed and ready to use by default as part of the LIVE CD/DVD/USB system, like it used to be........

User avatar
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24
Posts: 24270
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Flash Player - Installed By Default

Post by xenopeek »

That was a deliberate change to reduce release management effort, as detailed on http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3026 (section "Changes in release management"). You can install the multimedia codecs from the Live ISO as well.
Image

User avatar
pdhunter1987
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:26 am
Location: Australia

Re: Flash Player - Installed By Default

Post by pdhunter1987 »

I don't think flash is used everywhere. Look at YouTube, now html5 player.
IMO flash is insecure and old.
Could be wrong though!
-----------------
pdhunter1987
Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64bit
sudo apt install LinuxMint

Post Reply

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”