Suggestions about LM Cinnamon from a newcomer's PoV

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
Crypticsz
Level 1
Level 1

Suggestions about LM Cinnamon from a newcomer's PoV

Post by Crypticsz »

Well hello there. I am relatively new to Linux and after a few months of using it now there are a few things I'd like to put out here for consideration. And yes, you could label some of them as personal preference but then again, it's only personal until most people agree on it so anyway :) Lets get to it.

As someone coming from Windows, the first thing that stood out to me was how most windows always get reopened in the center of the screen. There are some like the System monitor which do get their last position and scaling remembered but then others like the File/Update/Software manager and pretty much all menu windows, always get auto centered on next opening. I would love it if an option for turning this on/off could be added in future versions of the OS. Also, and this is more of a general thing, highly personal too I guess but I think with most monitors being widescreen nowadays, it would look a lot prettier and fitting if at least menu windows are being widescreen scaled by default. For example, even now you could, thanks to profiles, make your terminal window have a widescreen initial size which I find to be pretty neat. Anyway, you got that idea.

The second thing that really started pocking me in the eye after a while is how there is no option to set the title bar merge with the respectful program in full screen. This is most notable in browsers where you end up having some 20 or so pixels worth of screen space practically wasted. And even though there is an extension regarding this called Cinnamon Maximus, it doesn't seem to be quite what I was hoping for considering that for some reason instead of merging the bar with the program, it just removes it altogether with the window buttons, which I suppose could be answered by getting one of those applets where you have those same buttons in your panel bar but then again, at this point it isn't quite as just having the bar merged anymore, is it? So I'd say you shouldn't really try and put that one under personal preference. :)

Third one you could say is a bit of a personal case but I'm putting it here anyway. It's about the Window list thumbnails on hover and the fact that they get triggered instantly. The problem with this is that on relatively slow machines like mine, it would put extra, unneeded load which will be highly noticeable if the machine is already under load for w/e reason. Or to put it in more detail, you go for opening a window and as you move your mouse over it to do so, you get a thumbnail, putting load, resulting in lets call it stutter for you now have an animation of the window emerging from the panel and a thumbnail showing up at the same time, a thumbnail you didn't really care to see at that point. So I'd say a very simple and effective solution to this would be to just put like a quarter of a second delay on these thumbnails. Currently I have them off to save my self the annoyance.

Fourth thing I wanna talk about is the Software manager. So I open it and I see some categories, so far so good. But then I got into one and I see a list of programs, then I see some stars in front of each, ratings clearly. Then I see numbers of reviews, cool. And then I see some green numbers that I've no idea what they are.. I open a program and I see that these numbers are score, great, but how is this score actually determined? I've no idea. Clarity needs to be added here, maybe like a mouseover window poppin up with a description. But that's not the only thing. I open a program and I can't see when it was last updated, therefor I now don't know if this program is actively worked on or is it forgotten in that regard. Ofc, the reviews could give you a clue about it but adding details to this manager would make it look a lot better because frankly, right now I'd say it looks quite... I don't know.. empty? And I don't mean in terms of software available. So if anything, you could start by simply adding a few columns in the program list showing like number of downloads, last update date, etc, would give it a lot better view overall, especially if you make it so programs could also get sorted by these respectfully. And last but not least, writing a review longer than 2 sentences is pretty awkward in the manager's current state for every time you tab out of it, it takes you back to the beginning of w/e you were writing, leaving you having to reposition your cursor all the way to the end again but ofc, you can't just click there since the whole window you're typing in is only one line. And I don't know if this is intended but every capital character beside the first one gets reversed to a small one once the review is put forward. Now, I know I could've made that paragraph 5 times smaller but I wanted you to get where I'm coming from with it so hopefully it doesn't fall under the personal preference graph.

I'm probably forgetting something here but I'd say I mentioned the most important things that I've been thinking of anyway. Thank you for your time. :)

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Suggestions about LM Cinnamon from a newcomer's PoV

Post by jimallyn »

Regarding #4, have you tried Synaptic? I think I tried Software Manager once then immediately went back to Synaptic.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean »

Most of your ideas are pretty good, but I don't like the mouse hover delay idea as it decreases utility for those of us with faster machines. MATE and XFCE flavours of Mint are targeted at lower spec machines and would probably give you a much snappier experience, whereas Cinnamon and KDE are a little more resource heavy and targeted at higher spec machines.

Crypticsz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Crypticsz »

MintBean wrote:Most of your ideas are pretty good, but I don't like the mouse hover delay idea as it decreases utility for those of us with faster machines...
Ofc, I just forgot to specify that there should probably simply be an option to add delay should the user chose so. This way both parties will be happy.

Crypticsz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Crypticsz »

jimallyn wrote:Regarding #4, have you tried Synaptic? I think I tried Software Manager once then immediately went back to Synaptic.
Yes, I know about it but you can't see screenshots there or at least I couldn't, nonetheless, if you know what you're there for I suppose it's great nonetheless. However, by default, new users aren't guided to it but to the Software one, hence why I even brought it up and to be honest, it wouldn't really take too much to make it look way better than it currently is.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Synaptic will show screenshots, if one is available. Click on the program in the list, and in the window below click Get Screenshot. Not all programs have screenshots, though. (Actually, disappointingly few have screen shots, to be honest.) I think a lot of Linux users are like me: I don't really care much what it looks like, as long as it works well. If you think a program could be made to look better, here's the good news: the source code is available for everything in Mint, and here's your chance to contribute to Mint! Seriously, if you are able to improve anything in Mint, it would likely be greatly appreciated if you did.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Crypticsz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Crypticsz »

Hehe, true. But I wouldn't have made this topic if I could do any of these things my self. I am no programmer. :-/ I'm just an average user and seeing how Mint is being aimed towards appealing to not only Linux users but also clickers like me, I thought I'd share my ideas anyway. :-)

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Crypticsz wrote:seeing how Mint is being aimed towards appealing to not only Linux users but also clickers like me, I thought I'd share my ideas anyway. :-)
You're perfectly welcome to do that here. I think some specific programs take suggestions on Git or LaunchPad.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”